rugosa means what?

Could someone please tell me what the word rugosa means with plant names? Often I buy plants and they have this word but I never know what it means. Thanks

Wrinkled

Wrinkled, often referring to leaf texturing.

Rug as in carpet. Osa, the name of an important Prince of Hell according to The Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, but also a word meaning Bear. Hence rugosa means "demonic bear rug." When it needs ironing, it's the Wrinkled Demonic Bear Rug.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote in

Close, but not quite: Rug = toupee + Osa = bear-like => Grizzly Adam's Toupee.
Rosa Rugosa Trumponi => Resembles Donald Trump after being mauled by a bear and a love sick lumberjack, brought to you by Sesame Street and the letter R.
Salty Thumb wrote:

Do you have a nursery that sells this by mail? I think I have the perfect spot for that.

I've been looking for it myself. Could be it's not available to mere mortals because of strict controlls on the so called "intellectual property" rights. The best you can do is buy the cut flowers here:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=toupee&btnG=Search+Froogle
um, oh yeah, do not ask me how I know this.
RosietheRiviter Wrote:

salty , paghat ....you both make me laff t
-- Eyebright