Royal Empress Tree

Hello

I am considering planting a fast-growing tree which i can annually butcher with my chainsaw for the purpose of shoving it into my wood burning stove. I am led to believe this tree grows at an extraordinary rate.

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense wood? (it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i find it difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

thanks in advance

Reply to
pilchardthecat

Do your research online, the biggest library in the world, in your house. Royal Empress is a common name for tree which has many varieties. I do not think you'll get the results you want with this tree for use as fire wood. While a hardwood, it is also very green and takes a long time to dry. They are usually kiln dried in the industry.

Reply to
Jangchub

Good question.

If you plant it here are some planting suggestions based on tree biology.

a year before pruning branches maintaining a symplast and fertilizing. Mulching a great idea if done correctly.
help:

symplastless

"pilchardthecat" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk...

Ash might be a better choice.

Reply to
D. Staples

It's Paulownia tomentosa, It's a pretty bad weed in parts of the US, not so bad in others.

's extremely brittle wooded (I can snag a branch on a sleeve and break it off without damaging my shirt, and the one I've been trying to kill here (and all its nasty little offspring) produces a wood that burns far faster on the bonfire than douglas fir or vine maple. Looks like it's getting weedy in Germany also:
it looks like it's escaped in Britain in at least several instances: Hill, M., Baker, R., et al., (2005). Audit of non-native species in England. English Nature Research Reports N° 662, English Nature.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

As already suggested, ash would be a better tree choice for firewood.

Reply to
gardenpal

Hardwood != hard wood. Balsa is a hardwood. It's a taxonomic distinction unrelated to the properties of the wood.

In any case, in some parts of the US it's considered a "noxious weed".

Reply to
J. Clarke