Rowan Tree

Hello, my first post is about a Rowan tree i have acquired! It is a young one, about half a metre of growth on it. I have the roots sitting in a tub of water just now but i want to obviously put it in the ground. The problem is that i havnt yet completed digging the turf up in my garden and getting it ready for plants.

The ground under the turf is awful. We are in a steading conversion and the people who built it put the turf on ground of stones mainly it seems. So we need to get some more soil in.

How long can it last in this tub? Can i plant it into a pot for now?

Reply to
pagan

Yes, plant it in a nicely sized container and mix some of the native soil where you plan to plant it in with the potting mix. I'd say a third of soil and two thirds of potting mix. Do not amend the soil where the tree will be planted or you will have a very unhealthy tree in several years. The roots are always best to be planted in a jagged hole using the native soil to back fill the hole. Get it out of the water immediately. It will not thrive at all in summer. Does it have foliage?

Reply to
Jangchub

The original question was to plant it in a container or would it survive in the water in a bucket, its current planter.

Sorbus aucuparia

Do a search to find out what it is. It's a rather popular tree.

Reply to
Jangchub

If you are that familiar with this tree then please do tell me if it is ring, diffuse or conifer. If you do not know than just say so.

Reply to
symplastless

Oh for shit sake, it's a dicot, seed producing in the family rosacea. I don't give a damn about your "biology" jargon. Useless here.

Reply to
Jangchub

I would say that you have not dissected this tree, do not know what type of vessel or tracheids arrangement it has dictating its water requirements. Just wanted to make sure. Just because you do not understand the anatomy of the specific tree does not mean that understanding the anatomy is not required to understand treatments. The opposite. The more you know about the anatomy of a species the more you will understand its treatments. The reason I asked was because the way people were answering I thought they understood the tree? My mistake. If you do not care about the biology of a plant why would you think you should comment on the biology of the tree?

Reply to
symplastless

You never heard of this tree. Are you going to now tell me you dissected one in our sleep? ALL trees have phlom and zylem. Did you dissect a Rowan? If not, shut up.

Reply to
Jangchub

Since you know squat about biology, trees, forests, nature, etc, other than pimping Shigo's work, why should anyone consider you anything other than a yard man trying to be something he will never manage to be?

Reply to
Don Staples

It will die if left in water because the roots need to exchange gasses with the air to survive.

Make some sloppy mud slurry to coat the roots and plant in soil in a container or in the ground asap, part shade and wind protection will help.

good tree for a pagan:)

Reply to
beecrofter

The first time I'd heard of it was in an Anne Rice book called, "The Witching Hour." The main character was named Rowan. Then I became a pagan and further learned about it, somewhat. As a Buddhist I suppose I'm still a pagan.

Reply to
Jangchub

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Who gives a crap!

Oh wait, my tree needs watering today. I'll be back after I dissect it to determine how much to water it. Then I'll measure the mulch and inspect every cut to further know a more efficient level of water it needs, but beore I do that I will have to read Shigo's book and make sure the earth really is revolving around the sun...then I may, as protective measure have to have an arborist come out to make sure the water is applied properly after I have a the Space Station do a soil test in zero G to determine if watering is necessary based on the longitude and latitude of said tree. Maybe have the water authority also come out to install a filter on the water so it's purified before I use it.

Reply to
Jangchub

Dissections have given great understanding of trees and their associates to many people that have dissected them. You however claiming to be a consulting forester which you refuse to define just what you mean on your website

) should be well aware of the understanding they recieved by dissecting trees. I know many foresters with a thorough understanding of tree biology. They are the teachers, they are the researchers. You are a practicing forester and do not communicate well with others with wisdom to offer. Ref:
Written by The Father of A NEW TREE BIOLOGY. That and others can be found on their website a
What do you have to bring to the table, Don Staples?

Reply to
symplastless

It will die if left in water because the roots need to exchange gasses with the air to survive.

That is true but in some cases a tree can pump oxygen down for respiration. So we think. I was hoping someone knew enough about this tree to tell us if it pumps oxygen down. So do. Look at the trees in the swamps in Louisiana. They pump the oxygen down. Called Aerenchyma - A large intercellular space system extremely effective in water and swamp plants in pumping oxygen down to the roots. [Page 211 Lyr and Hoffman 1967]

Reply to
symplastless

It will drown if left in the water.

For now plant it up in a good sized pot with good loam based compost. Keep it watered but not wet, and keep it in the shade so its leaves do not dry out. You can plant it out in the autumn this year or in the spring next year.

Reply to
beccabunga

Does the freaking common name "Mountain Ash" suggest that this tree is not a swamp dweller?

Reply to
beecrofter

beecrofter and others, remember the cautionary tale of "Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby". Dee mo' yo mess wit it, dee wouse it gets, mmm, mmm, mmm. There are some folk that think that they have an infinite amount of time to throw down a "black hole" and think maybe it will have some effect, but more practical folk will watch where they step. 'Nuff said.

Reply to
Billy

Not to mention swamp trees usually have lumpy appendages called knees which they think are a prime source of gas exchange. For all I know, by now horticulture has proved it.

Reply to
Jangchub