Roundup safe to use inside GH?

In the GH I am restoring, I put some old paving bricks down to cover the dirt floor before thinking about the potential weed problem. Is it safe to use Roundup on the weeds that come up inside the GH, or should I go to the trouble of removing all the bricks and putting down weed-blocking cloth? Thanks. T-L

Reply to
Trent-Lion

Yes it's safe, although a little scalding water works fine also.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Go through the trouble. Roundup does not prevent weeds from sprouting up. It's a systemic pesticide which must make contact with the foliage, and in a greenhouse the drift can vary and cause you to lose plants.

Reply to
animaux

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

In a confined space like that, I would only apply Roundup with a brush rather than spray. I think you might prefer a more permanent, non-chemical solution.

Reply to
Dave Gower

It is never recommended to use RoundUp if it is not for professional use. Try to get rid of the weeds manually and indeed, use a nylon cloth, as you probably will need this anyway. It is a non-chemical solution with more lasting effects, but the investment is a bit larger.

Nick

"Trent-Lion" schreef in bericht news:021220031336382484% snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid...

Reply to
Nick Vandooren

What kind of bullshist is this???????

Reply to
Guardy Loo

The best option would be to remove the bricks and any organic soil under them, replacing it with gravel to bring the grade to the proper level. This will not only remove the growth media and seed bank for the weeds, but will minimize fungus gnats, which breed in the organic material, whether or not there is a weed cloth over it.

Also, if there is really organic material under the paving bricks, walking on it will eventually compress it to the point where it is impermeable to water and you will have drainage issues. The gravel will mitigate that (although you really only have to worry about it in the walkways).

However, this solution is a lot of work and has a limited lifetime. You will be occasionally spilling growing mix etc, adding to the organic component of the subsoil, so eventually the fungus gnats will have a place to reproduce. You can stretch this out by placing the weed block cloth on the surface. This will allow you to clean the floor periodically, minimizing the amount of organic material reaching the subsoil. I have weed block cloth (the woven polypropylene stuff) that has been in place for about 10 years now and it's still in good shape despite having been walked on all that time.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Deal with it, Shill. Using a herbicide inside a confined space is never recommended. Even braindead zombies ought to be able to look up application/instructions when it comes to the ill-advised use of glyphosate. But judging by your spelling skills, you no doubt did not know that. The stuff has an application but it is not designed/formulated to be a weed barrier in a hobby greenhouse. Here is a handy link with picksurs! of application/protection:

salt water. Or a flame torch. Or a layer of pebbles, aids in passive solar capture and helps regulate moisture levels. Or even a pre-emergent such as Corn Gluten Meal on top of a decent quality weed barrier. But not RoundUp.

Don't bother with a ranty reply, you are not smart enough.

Reply to
canuckistani

"Nick Vandooren" wrote

Roundup is definitely recommended for home use but it is important to follow directions. Most of us possess the intelligence and literacy to do that.

Or any kind of non-rotting water-permeable weed barrier. But that has nothing to do with Roundup being unsuitable for non-professionals. It's simply more appropriate in this application.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Dave, I think it may depend on where you live. It is my understanding that some countries have banned or restricted its use. It is also possible that it is banned or restricted in some cities (anyone from Toronto who can tell us what is its status there?).

Reply to
Henry Kuska

A few communities in Canada have outlawed the cosmetic use of herbicides. That is mainly against the broadcasting of lawn weedkillers, but can include other chemicals and uses as well (not sure if Roundup is on the list). But that was not what I was thinking of when I mentioned that Roundup is "recommended" for use by non-professionals.

Personally I find Killex to be more irritating than Roundup. I use lawn weedkillers as little as possible (I use a hand spray-bottle, and squirt directly on the weeds), but will pull weeds by hand if practical, which unfortunately it sometimes is not.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Can anyone comment on the information at the following link:

Henry Kuska

Sorry, the post before this one by me should have been in the 2,4-D thread.

Reply to
Henry Kuska

This link gives an example of Roundup being declared a restricted use chemical; (can anyone from this part of the country comment?):

Henry Kuska

Not being from Franklin County I won't comment on that particular jurisdiction's actions, but local ordinances can sometimes be driven by vocal pressure groups, rather than science and careful thought. I have more faith in regulations passed at the national or state/province level where the process is (hopefully) subject to more rigour and informed debate.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Dave, you may be interested then in what Denmark has done:

Henry Kuska

Interesting. They found that it might be retained in clay soils. This is the kind of serious study we need. But doesn't sound too scary, particularly for casual garden use..

Reply to
Dave Gower