Roundup questions

Page 2 of 4
On Sun, 24 May 2009 16:25:53 -0600, "Suzanne D."

I know you're in a different climate so perhaps it's not an issue, but I would never sow Bermuda grass if I intended to garden. Here in TN, once it gets going, it's never going to get gone.
Kate - been pulling some Bermuda grass today
On Sun, 24 May 2009 16:25:53 -0600, against all advice, something

Apparently, it does best under three feet of Roundup treated concrete.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

I've been pulling weeds in my front yard which used to be a "lawn" but is now a corn field. I've been only removing weeds and leaving the odd tufts of grass to grow, but maybe if I start pulling the grass too and trying to get rid of it, it will take over the whole yard.
But then, I'd be stuck with a lawn instead of a corn field, so... --S.

Cover it with cardboard, asphalt or concrete. :-)

I'd have to go along with Victoria's reply on chinch bugs. I've also concluded by observation that ants attack grass root systems when extreme drought conditions occur. At least that was my observation last summer on a fire ant colony in the front yard that was basically hidden for a time.
Bermuda grass seed germinates just like any other seed. Needs alot of moisture for a time for that to occur. If you insist on a Bermuda strain, go with the Sahara variety that tolerates drought well.
I apologize for those who are using your post as rider for their ridicule.
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Sniff, sniff. Do I smell burning martyr? IIRC Steve was the OP on "Roundup questions".
--

- Billy
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message news:pvmdnU0-

Oh please don't. I am finding those replies amusing as well. I appreciate the real advice like yours, but enjoy the silly posts. --S.

Tilling brings up dormant weed seeds, such as bindweed, which then sprout and give you tsouris for the rest of the year. Only effective remedy short of 2-4D is constant mowing to starve the weeds of sunlight-derived sugars.
What are you doing to maintain good, well-drained tilth?

"Frank" wrote:

What are you doing to maintain good, well-drained tilth?
Hey Frankie, what's with the gay lingo... you wanna tilth get back in your closet... sheesh!

What will you be planting, Steve?

Tomatos, peppers, beans, cucumbers, squash .......... whatever.

OK. Here's where Roundup discussions always get interesting, so pick and choose which of the responses you believe. A pair of dice is helpful, since that roughly matches the science behind human exposure to agricultural chemicals.
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DMPGR.php
In my opinion, the only way to determine whether ag chemicals are safe around humans is to test those chemicals in the same way as drugs. In other words, dose living volunteers with the stuff. For all intents and purposes, that never happens, although someone in this group once showed an exception.
If you're growing food at home, what's the point of taking the same risks as commercial farmers and exposing yourself to chemicals which have not and will never be tested for safety? Why do all that work to end up with essentially the same result?
Use mechanical methods to deal with weeds, like the suggestions about cardboard & mulch.
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

Every three years I treat my 12' wide by 600' long crushed stone driveway plus two parking aprons with Roundup Pro Concentrate, that area is roughly 1/6 acre. I mix and spray 3 gallons of roundup pro concentrate, last time was two years ago and it cost more than $300 (would cost $400 now) and most of a day's labor with a 3 gallon manual pump sprayer and a lot of sweat mixing and lugging on a hot sunny day (didn't feel the investment in a power roadway sprayer was worth it for one time every 3 years). It would cost roughly $2,400 to treat 2 acres of unwanted lawn with Roundup... and I seriously doubt vegetables would grow there for at least a year... I know from personal experience that the effect of Roundup continues for a long time, that's why I can get by with an application every three years... it's been two years now and vegetation is starting to move in enough that now I mow my driveway.
I don't believe SteveB has a 2 acre garden, in fact I don't believe he has any size garden or has ever had any garden, and probably once he wakes up from his beer fogged trailer trash dream and realizes what gardening is about he will never have a garden... no one who has a 2 acre garden (that's a farm, folks) would ever ask such questions about killing grass and weeds with Roundup defolient... a person could feed a family of four with veggies from the market for two years for the price of enough Roundup to treat 2 acres. A person can easily feed a family of four (and two other families of four) veggies all year from a 1/16 acre garden and not pay a cent for any chemicals whatsoever... Steve couldn't afford to treat a 2 acre garden with H2O. When I read of people with their claims of 4 1/2 acre and 2 acre gardens (none have ever posted a photo) I seriously wonder if folks here have any concept of what's an acre of garden.
brooklyn1 wrote:

He never said he had a 2 acre garden. He said he has 2+ acres and uses Roundup, and he's getting ready to put in a garden.
I had a 1/4 acre garden when I lived in Texas. (and I used RoundUp to spot treat the Bermudagrass that kept sneaking in.) It was a huge garden (IMHO) and was pretty much unmanageable until I discovered drip irrigation.
Bob

He certainly did refer to his 2 acre garden... why would someone mention 2 acres in reference to a garden when they are putting in say a 10' X 10' plot?!?!? Actually he did say he already has a garden, a "weedy" garden _"My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know."_ He led folks to believe he has a 2 acre garden that is all weedy and he was asking if it was okay to get rid of the weeds in his garden with Roundup... it is quite clear that his intent was to lead folks to believe he has a weedy 2 acre garden. Had he truly wanted suggestion about how to weed his garden (which many offered) an honest person would have said right from the gitgo what size area (he said 2 acres), otherwise no one could offer help except some generalizations and mostly wild speculation. Just like the last person who boasted that she had a 4 1/2 acre garden but when I asked her to post pictures of her garden she didn't deny it but instead posted pictures of all sorts of things but none of any garden (probably a neighbor's property). People on usenet are smarmy, they make all sorts of wildly exaggerated claims and tell down right lies... very few are who they say they are. Many of the pictures folks post are not of their garden and/or not of anything they themselves did. It's easy to post a picture of someone elses garden, or some landscaper was paid to do and then claim they did it, and cameras are very portable so anyone can take a shot of a garden across town, and it's very easy to lift an image off the net... when someone posts a pictures of fully cropped flowers I wonder where they stole those images.
On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:36:22 GMT, against all advice, something

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.
Who gives a shit? I mean, besides you.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

You made your point when talking about smaller acreage and affordibility of Roundup vs. feeding the family. I don't digress. You did just waste your "breath" though on a point that is really moot from the prior replying poster.
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

Sheesh, who made you sole arbiter of what peeps post... your responding to my post added nothing, whereas yours and you are the total waste... and obviously you haven't a clue what "digress" means or is your use germaine, you just inserted the tired overused word self-servingly in hopes of elevating yourself to a position of importance and superiority, not. I'm positive you don't have a garden either, never did, never will.... what an insignicant pinhead your momma bred.

And it sounds like you're a pimple faced idiot with little real world experience. Either join in the conversation or STFU.
On second thought, you haven't written anything yet I consider worth reading, so, it's to the compost pile with you.
bubye
Steve

You found a picture of him online? Share it! :-)