Roundup problems

There is a link between roundup use and fusarium disease in spring wheat. No or minimal til using roundup seems to lead to accumulation and overwintering of fusarium in the crop debris. There is a similar effect related to roundup and fusarium sudden death syndrome in soy.

Published in Crop Sci 45:1908-1916 (2005) DOI: 10.2135/cropsci2004.0197

Crop Production Factors Associated with Fusarium Head Blight in Spring Wheat in Eastern Saskatchewan M. R. Fernandeza,*, F. Sellesa, D. Gehlb, R. M. DePauwa and R. P. Zentnera a Semiarid Prairie Agricultural Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, P.O. Box 1030, Swift Current, SK, Canada S9H 3X2 b Indian Head Research Farm, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, P.O. Box

760, Indian Head, SK, Canada S0G 2K0

Fusarium head blight (FHB) has been increasing in western regions of the Canadian Prairies. The objective of this 4-yr study was to identify crop production factors (CPF), associated with FHB development in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). From 1999 to 2002,

659 crops were sampled in eastern Saskatchewan for FHB levels, and information gathered on agronomic practices used on these fields. In 2000 and 2001, percent Fusarium-damaged kernels (FDK) was also determined. Differences in the FHB index among years indicated that environment was the most important factor affecting disease development. The effects of CPFs on FHB were lower in years with high (2001) and low (1999 and 2002) disease pressure, compared with a year with moderate (2000) disease pressure. Previous application of glyphosate [N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine] formulations (GF) within tillage system, tillage system, previously grown crop, and cultivar susceptibility were the only CPFs that affected FHB. GF application in the previous 18 mo within tillage system was significantly associated with higher FHB levels every year; it was the only CPF in 1999, and one of two CPFs in 2002, that affected FHB, suggesting that its effect was not influenced as much by environmental conditions as that of other CPFs. Percentage FDK was also higher in fields previously treated with GF in 2000 and 2001. Because of the nature of this study, we could not determine if the association between previous GF use and FHB development was a cause?effect relationship. Thus, further research is needed to elucidate the nature of this association and the underlying mechanisms.

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Very interesting.

I suspect that Roundup kills a plant that contains a natural fungicide, or else is food for some critter that eats the fungus or its spores or else is a preferred host for the fungus, which in the absence of this host colonises the next best thing. Or the critter that eats the fungus also needs some other critter that feeds on a plant that's killed by the Roundup. Or maybe the fungus has adapted to be more infectious to wheat in the absence of its other host plants. Or maybe the "crop debris" provides a better climate for overwintering when it contains no weeds. Or some other subtle effect of disturbing the diversity of the wheatfield (which is not very diverse in any case.) My reading around these issues indicates that the cause-effect connection is very rarely a simple one, which explains why such effects are rarely if ever caught in the so-called testing stage of new products.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I have a very low opinion of chemicals such as roundup. That's why I have a bumpersticker which simply says "Darth Monsanto"..... If you put it in the ground, ya gotta drink or eat it eventually.

Just my opinion Mathew

Reply to
Mathew in the Mountains

But the guvmint says the shit is safe. Are you questioning our guvmint? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote But the guvmint says the shit is safe. Are you questioning our guvmint? :-)

============

Actually, every chemist that I know says that Roundup is safe. I live in a university environment and I know many PhD level chemists, including some extremely "earth-friendly" professor types.

I was shock by how unanimous they were in trusting Roundup. One organic gardener/chemistry professor hasn't allowed any "chemical" on his lawn, garden or compost piles for 20 years - except Roundup.

I'm convinced.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Anon,

Perhaps you might ask if they've read the latest research, most of my professor mentors continue to read and learn....you might find it interesting....

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Roundup is actually a variant on a plant hormone, which is why it works, and why it's biodegradable. You can Roundup a weed patch and seed whatever you like about two weeks later with no ill effects. Because it's a variant, Monsanto was able to patent it, but the patents have run out, and generic and differently branded versions are now available, at much lower cost.

Monsanto now has Roundup-resistant Canola, wheat, and other crops available, which they've patented. They won't sell them to a farmer without also selling Roudnup. IMO, it's _not_ clear that Roudn-up resistant crops are safe. Any time you tinker with one egne, you allso chnage the effects of other genes, in unpredictable ways. This is why breeding new varieties of organisms is difficult: selecting for a given trait will also alter other traits. Short-circuiting the selection process via gene modification doesn't change this principle.

But that's another issue.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Tom Jaszewski Perhaps you might ask if they've read the latest research, most of my professor mentors continue to read and learn.... you might find it interesting....

==========

What a dumb f*ck. Enjoy your narrow-minded little world.

Reply to
Gideon

Oh he does. Read some of the other clueless crap he emits here. This is the only place in the universe he has even a hint of an audience.

He's gotta be a phone tech for AOL or some other IP. Just gotta be...

Reply to
G Henslee

Thanks for another display of your educated wit and discussion skills...

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Compost piles? If any of your PhD acquaintances are putting Roundup on their compost piles, they are idiots. Or, you're making up stories.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You may be pushing the envelope here, in terms of Gideon's ability to comprehend abstracts. Notice that he commented on the opinions of his friends, rather than his own thoughts.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I think you're just misreading sloppy syntax.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Doug Kanter wrote You may be pushing the envelope here, in terms of Gideon's ability to comprehend abstracts. Notice that he commented on the opinions of his friends, rather than his own thoughts.

================

I got an A in every chemistry class I ever took, including several honors chemistry courses in college. BUT, I'm not a trained chemist and I am certain SMART enough to seek the opinions of those who are - especially when I am fortunate enough to know quite a few research chemists and college chemistry professors. Just on my block in my neighborhood, there are 2 chemical engineers, 3 chemistry professors, 2 Phd research chemists and 2 other folks with degrees in chemistry. I also work on a continual basis with the engineering, physics and chemistry professors at our local major university. I am smart, but I'm not foolish enough to assume that I know more than the experts.

Doug, living in a trailer park, probably can't relate to any of the above, especially the parts about being smart or interacting with those who are. That's why we created minimum wage career paths.

Reply to
Gideon

Dougy,

Get your head out of your ass and develop a bit of reading comprehesion and common sense. Even trailer park trash like you should be able to fathom what is being said.

Yes, Dougy, I will have fries with my order. Thank you.

Reply to
Gideon

You do NOT spray weed killers on compost heaps. Period. End of discussion. You either misunderstood your "authorities", or they are very young and miserably uninformed.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I re-read your post about Roundup on compost piles. Perhaps you should try writing more clearly.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Based on his writing style, I'd say he's either very young, and does not have any of the credentials he claims. He's a poser who's pulling our legs for the purpose of trolling.

Either that, or he went to a school that cared more about collecting his tuition money (or his daddy's endowments) than it cared about educating him. Whatever the real story is, he is not as educated as he says (or thinks) he is.

(It also could be he really does know all those educated people, but they will say anything to him just to finish the conversation so he'll go away. "Yeah, sure. RoundUp is the only chemical I spray on my compost pile. Now will you go away?")

Reply to
Warren

:-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I partied with Stephen Hawking once long ago, a dull party populated by beer guzzling scientists & reporters. But whether I'd said something smart or stupid, it would be just so laughable to support my alleged facts with allusions to who I know, met, or who lives down the block from me. Likely the poster IS just trolling, since I have trouble believing anyone is quite THAT foolish & insecure.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat