Rotovator/Tiller Recommendation

Greetings

I have been considering the purchase of a 5 HP rotovator and I am looking for a product recommendation.

I like the idea of a Honda FG500 (with the reliability and 5 year warranty) but the best price that I can find is approximately 670 UK pounds.

Can you recommend such a machine?

Thanks in advance.

Maurice Bishop

Reply to
Maurice Bishop

I don't know the availability of brands in the UK. Honda is one of the best imports in the US. The Italian BCS is also excellent.

Reply to
FarmerDill

"........I have been considering the purchase of a 5 HP rotovator and I am looking for a product recommendation. ......."

Firstly what part of the world do you live ? Secondly how much land are you going to work with it? Thirdly are there any other tasks you will need a machine to do?

If you live in the UK as it looks then why not post this to uk.rec.gardening.

Reply to
David Hill

Thanks David

  1. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK.
  2. Small amount of land (allotment), but the new machine will be shared amongst a number of allotment owners.
  3. No other tasks.
  4. No-one seems to posts (or read) to uk.rec.gardening.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Maurice

________________________________

Reply to
Maurice Bishop

David

Sorry, there was a problem with my newsgroup setup. I can see uk.rec.gardening. OK.

Cheerz

Maurice

____________________________________

Reply to
Maurice Bishop

The reason for asking about other usage is that there are several Italian machines on the UK market that are multi functional, that is you can change the implements on the one power source, I use Renovator, grass cutting bar, plough and trailer(Ride on), and you can get rotary mower, snow blower, brush and other attachments as well. It saves buying several engines etc and I find it good, but for multi user probably a fixed machine will be a better buy, still worth looking at some of the Italian machines, as well as Honda.

Reply to
David Hill

Getting a unit in the 5hp range I suggest a machine where the engine is connected to the gearbox driving the tines by belts instead of gears or shafting.

Because the unit is shared hitting an obstruction that causes the belt to slip or perhaps break is stll in the realm of pocket change whereas gears are not. And should the engine need replacement at some time in the future it is much easier to compensate for differences by varying belt size.

In addition rear tines with power driven wheels allow the wheels to be engaged while the tines remain undriven which is a nice feature for loading and unloading up and down a plank.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I purchased a BCS tiller in the US got absolutely NO SUPPORT!!! Their small chipper shredder failed after 4 uses and I took a $500USD loss peddling it off to someone willing to piss around with a poorly made and unsupported piece of equipment. Perhaps in the UK there is better support!

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Well I had a Troybuilt Hosre, Pro model that really did not hold up long, or as long as it should have for what I paid for it, and was more a pain to use than was worth, as it was always going out of adjustment. I then sold it and bought an off brand tiller named ATLAS. It has been in use now over 6 years and every bit of it trouble free. It does exactl;y what the Troybuilt did, and in some cases more, such as tilling depth and forward speeds etc, is just as manuverable as a Troy is, and it only cost 1/2 as much to buy. It was sold by the local farmer Co-op. Its 8 hp and tills 26" wide, and utilizes the same type bolo tines as TB does. Have yet to make any adjustments or repairs on it. Powered by B & S industrial commercial castiron sleeze ball bearing engine, and if memory serves me right I gave abaout $800 USD for it new.

I had looked at BCS and like others support and prices were bad in my area.

H>===>===

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy