ROSES AND FUNGAL DISEASE

I'm fairly new to roses and was wondering if someone could suggest a variety. I am looking for a good, "Cut Rose" that I can cut and put in a flower vase in the dining room every so often. I really dont like to spray for black spot as often as every week. I have a hybrid tea variety called Chilula (they were out of the Rio Samba variety - which is what I REALLY LIKED) that i've barely kept alive in a large pot...Im gonna have to transplant it to a better place in my raised bed garden. I wondered if the black spot disease could be eradicated before I transplant it... or should I trash the plant? I thought about cutting the plant back and spraying it with a chemical that would kill all the spores.. even thought of a 1:10 bleach solution on the branches... I dont know... help please... I live in Texas, near the Dallas area.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

Reply to
Anonymous

Your best bet to pick a variety resistant to fungus. Roses are a high-maintenance plant, so if you really want cut roses you might consider having just one or two plants. Plant in a sunny area with plenty of ventilation. Keep the area around the plant free from debris. If a rose plant already has black spot, cut it way back and discard the trimmings in the trash. Do not water in the evening. You should apply an anti-fungus spray weekly for 2-3 months starting in early spring. Use the bleach solution on your pruning shears, not the plant.

Reply to
Phisherman

You can check out this link on my website

contains information on Rose diseases

Craig Cooper

Growers Information