Rose Packaging

I bought several bare root rose plants from Wal Mart yesterday - im not so sure whether the plant stock is good at Wal Mart... but ill give it a shot... anyway the plants roots were packaged in sawdust, which was wrapped in a plastic bag. The sawdust is soaking wet, so I cut open the package to dry it out. Could someone tell me if the sawdust is there to keep the roots dry, or moist??

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 7 Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Keep the roots moist but not sopping wet.

Reply to
JohnS

Moist, keep the roots moist, best to put them in a bucket of water for a day or so before you plant them.

Reply to
Charles

It is recommended to keep the bare root rose moist (even spraying the canes occasionally) until planting. I've actually kept bare root roses in water for well over a week without a problem: just don't let them dry out!

Reply to
immike