Rose of Sharon or Althea's

I have two kinds of Rose of Sharon's, or Althea's. One variety is double and the other is the single, more hibiscus type of flower. I planted the doubles together, butt to butt. The lavendar ones aren't impressive, but the double pink one with the bare hint of red maroon is very nice. Now I wish I had gotten the darker pink one instead of the soft purple.

The other more hibiscus flowered variety are also planted in two's and cheek to cheek in one bed under the black walnut tree. One was a deep, almost Pepto Bismol pink with a deep red maroon eye. The other is a white with the same color eye. They compliment each other very well. I got one right.

And now they're blooming. I absolutely fall in love with some flowers and last year when I saw those deep, different pink blossoms with the dark eye literally shouting at me from the rear of the nursery, I knew I had to have one of them. It took me a few weeks to nab one, they kept flying off the tables grabbed up by gardeners like myself who wanted different.

Now I have decided to take cuttings next year, since this year's attempt of cuttings was foiled by the slicing of both clumps of young bushes by the 17 year cicada.

Another experiment in progress is the new addition of a hydrangea along side of the established Blue Lace Cap varigated one. I planted Endless Summer under her protective branches, and on the other side I tucked a rosy purple flowered variety of lacecap under the other sides of the varigated one. That had no tag other than "variety of hydrangea" so it's a crap shoot.

(pics are on alt.binaries.gardens)

I just felt like sharing. Thanks for the time. madgardener off work this week, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler where the nourishing summer rains are gently falling every day, overlooking a misty, cloudy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

Actually they are Hibiscus syriacus not Althea.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

I took three rose of sharon plants and planted them together in the same hole about three years ago. One is white, one pink and one lavender..... I have braided them together and looks like one tree. I keep the bottom leaves cut off and it has turned out very interesting. When it blooms it is really neat. Ours haven't bloomed here yet but I think it is going to be even prettier this year than last year. Susie :-))

Reply to
Watcher Mom

that does sound neat! I bet the flowering display is georgous. Mine are blooming only because of the heat we've been getting right now. I've tried this with lilac's but they're resisting the transplant at the moment. I might have to plug them in with my older lilac, but haven't quite decided.

Have your daylilies started blooming yet?

I have quite a show of colors at the moment. I need to get more of a grip on the chaos of my gardens as the growth and foliage is running rampant at the moment.

madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Yes, the daylilies are gorgeous. They are doing better than ever. They have grown so much, I have the feeling that they are going to need separated this fall.. Susie :-))

Reply to
Watcher Mom