Rose leaf size varies

As my roses begin blooming in the new season, I wonder, as every year, why such a wide range of leaf sizes. They range from over 3" in width to less than 1".
OK, they are different varieties, but why such a spread? We are trained to look first for an evolutionary advantage conferred by Trait "x", but I cou ldn't find info to scratch my curiosity itch. Am no longer in touch with m y sole rosarian friend, so wonder if any Hon. Members have a clue.
HB
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

May as well ask why Polock wimens have larger breasts than Jap wimens.
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 5:50:10 AM UTC+11, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

s than 1".

ouldn't find info to scratch my curiosity itch. Am no longer in touch with my sole rosarian friend, so wonder if any Hon. Members have a clue.

what does this have to do with rose leaf sizes?
jack.magic wrote:

Rose leaf envy.