roots taking over!

Hello all! Brand new to this forum and to gardening, so please bear with me!
Our neighbours have a large tree (I THINK it's an elm tree, but I'm not sure) growing right alongside our fence. There are a few places where the tree roots are above the ground on our side of the fence, and these roots have sprouted new mini trees. Is there a way I can "neuter" the roots so they don't sprout, without killing the tree? The roots come up right around where I have flowers planted, so I don't want to damage my plants with any kind of chemicals or aggressive digging, if I can avoid it... If I saw the roots that are above ground off, will that kill the tree??
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't see my daffodils past the tree spouts!
--
thh20

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:21:16 +0100, thh20

It is *not* a Forum........it's the Usenet. Friggin gardenbanter is simply a GUI for usenet access....sheesh.
As is that friggin' googlegroups....
Charlie
On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:20:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (A) spuked forth:

Uhhh....quoted text helps us follow along. To whom are you "speaking"?
Like I said, this here be the Usenet, not one of many forums.
webtv always had a problem with this also. I didn't know it was still functional.
Charlie
Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic" wrote:

I'd treat it as the "Tar Baby Syndrome" (remember Br'er Rabbit), unless you just feel like playing.
I got the seaweed, and some fish and chips. Pictures at 11. I'm not sure which 11 but it'll be one of them, I'm purrdy sure. In the mean time, me thinks it's toes up time ;O)
--

- Billy
On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:09:44 -0500, against all advice, something compelled Charlie, to say:

And it's not "the Usenet", it's USENET. The question was on topic, it wasn't crafted in HTML, and it deserves an answer should you have one.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

And it's whatever spelling, capitalization, and wordgames I want to play, considering I authored it, Steve. I answered the OP's statement as I saw fit and as suited my humor, as you saw fit to respond to my non-question, as suited your humor, Steve
Name of the game on the Usenet. Or whatever you want to call it. Whatever. Thank you for your editorial comments. They are appreciated, yet will be ignored.
Deal with it, Steve. If you don't like what I post, that is fine and doesn't upset me at all. Ignore, filter, or argue.
Charlie
On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:56:45 -0500, against all advice, something compelled Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic", to say:

Apparently, that is not true.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
spuked forth:

You say this because I responded in a belittling way, all in good USENET fun and in the spirit of the game?
You're right... you win, I lose.
Charlie
On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:01:02 -0500, against all advice, something compelled Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic", to say:

Spirit of the game, shit. He asked a reasonable question in the appropriate space, and you found fit to slam him for not following some antique convention.
Who did that help?

Yes, you're right.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Steve Daniels wrote:

USENET,usenet, forum...whatever. Inasmuch as it is an open discussion group it is a forum (regardless of what you want to call it technically)..a place where people can publicly voice their opinions. EJ in NJ
On May 31, 6:09pm, Charlie wrote:

Does anyone still use a CLI news reader? A forum is just a place where people gather to exchange stuff.
I have chopped up a bunch of roots from my neighbors Chinese tallow trees. The things just won't freaking die... <g> They are not long- lived trees, and most of their branches have rotted and been blown down by storms. They are working on some new ones though.
I don't think I wouldn't do anything too drastic to a nice Elm.
On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:21:16 +0100, against all advice, something

Cut off all of the suckers, and cover the root with black plastic?
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
thh20;848340 Wrote: >

Hi, I had this problem last year with a somewhat different tree, and to combat these trees I repeatedly chopped of the 'mini' trees and there seem to be less of them this year. Chopping of the mini trees should not damage the main plant although I might also advise covering the holes in the roots and using a sharp knife to minimise the chances of infection. Otherwise I'm not sure there is much you can do! Hope this helps, Ross.
--
Ross