Root-o-Rama!

I finally got around to taking some cuttings from my 'Blackie' sweetpotato vine on Wednesday. Yesterday (Friday) I checked the glass they are in and discovered they have roots an inch long already!! Talk about instant gratification -- no wonder kids love them in school...

Hope I don't get overrun this winter when I'm keeping the potted cuttings on the enclosed porch for next spring. ;-] I generally leave my other house-type plants and sturdier orchids outside until the night-time temps drop to the mid-40s, usually sometime in October. I move them back out when the night temps are steadily above the mid-40s in the spring. Have never grown this plant before, and have no idea how tender it is -- any suggestions as to how long I can leave the potted cuttings outdoors this fall would be much appreciated. TIA!

Happy trails....

Sue Drake Beautiful Butte County, CA Sunset Zone 7, USDA Zone 8

Reply to
Cliff & Sue Drake

Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant? If you really want to have it again next season, just save the tuber. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Now, now, any plant that can be put in water on Wednesday and have inch-long roots by Friday is worth a few props, for entertainment value if nothing else (at this rate, you almost can "watch the grass grow").

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

lol. Ok, true. =)

Just wait 'till they see the tuber, though. HEH.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

The plant is currently in a large planter with several others -- I thought I'd try to see if I can overwinter them all in the pot. I'm taking cuttings of all, as Emergency Backup Spares, in case I need them. Be prepared! 8-]

Happy trails....

Sue

Reply to
Cliff & Sue Drake

And that's the truth! The roots have doubled in size as of today -- at this rate, they'll be taking over the table they're on if I don't get them potted soon. Highly entertaining, IMHO. And yes, I do know that I'm easily amused. ;-]

Happy trails....

Sue

Reply to
Cliff & Sue Drake

========== Yikes. Will I need a back-hoe? =8-o

Happy trails....

Sue

Reply to
Cliff & Sue Drake

What's the best way of saving tubers inside over winter?

Reply to
Mark Anderson

I've brought them in and kept them in the basement. Keep them out of light.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I love sweet potato vine but stopped buying them because they are always tattered by munching bugs by mid summer.

Reply to
dannysmom