root bound liriope and stella plugs

Yesterday I rec'd 24 potted Liriope from a "reputable" internet company specializing in groundcovers (not any of the big guys). All of them were rootbound with roots coming from the bottom holes as well as from the tops of the pot. These are 3-1/4" pots and I struggled with them to get them from the pots. At first glance I thought they were packed in some sort of hay (duh). Before contacting the company I wanted to do a little research. There are sites that say liriope is OK if it is a little rootbound. Is this true? To me they look like last years nursery trash.
Also, I ordered bareroot stella d oro. These came looking like bad green onions. Very small. My understanding was that "bareroot" is a plant with the dirt removed --*not* a plug. Is this correct?
This company advertises as "high quality" and this is what they base their reputation on. I'm so disappointed, but grateful I didn't order the larger order I had in mind.
Am I a misinformed somewhat-newbie gardener or do I have reason for disappointment?
Lesa
Depending on the prices, I would not say that you have much to be mad about. If you paid premimum prices, yes -- the cosmetics matter. If you were going for economy, no, things sound fine.
Stella's are a rather small daylily, anyway, and I'd much rather have too much roots than not enough!
Price has a lot to do with it, and you didn't mention that.
Indyrose