Rocky Raccoon

We were besieged by groundhogs last year around this time;
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gardens/browse_frm/thread/a6e92b6aec0e3eae/ae4f000297726f51?q=oparr+%22ground+hog%22 #
Well, this year it's raccoons. They're tornadoes on legs and completely thrash our garden and backyard whenever they pass through during the night. Thinking that it was probably just one of them, I set the trap one night and waited.
Decided to look out a few hours later after hearing a commotion outside and saw not one but four of them. One was in the trap with the other three pulling and pushing the trap around in an attempt to free it. Had to turn the hose on them.
Here's a shot of the unfortunate one before taking it for a ride;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/145385435/original
Yeah, they're cute and I can understand why some people have them as pets.
"The most famous domesticated raccoons were Rebecca and Horace, owned by United States President Calvin Coolidge, who served from 1923 to 1929."
In article

They're too often rabid around where I am (in a neighborhood of Boston, MA, USA).
Priscilla
On 8/16/2012 6:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gardens/browse_frm/thread/a6e92b6aec0e3eae/ae4f000297726f51?q=oparr+%22ground+hog%22 #
I had a situation like this with a skunk where I caught the Momma and the kids would not leave.
Raccoons are a PITA with garden and garbage and you have to be careful with them, at least around here, because rabies is endemic. Nearby nature center had one in a cage as a pet and after it scratched a few people it was tested and found rabid.