Robust fall planted bulbs

I live near a wooded area with really rocky, sandy (crappy) soil. Very dry. Hard for anything to grow except vinca and english ivy.

It's also a shady area 2-3 hours of filtered sun perhaps.

I really would like to plant some bulbs that have vigor to get more green around here and remember when I was younger we had a lot of those purple bearded iris plants that did VERY well on a wooded slope. (what is technical name? japanese iris?)

Anyway, are there any other bulbs that can be recommended for fall planting that will really kick "_ _ _" ?

Thanks !

Reply to
mkr5000

Bearded iris is Iris germanica (literally, German iris). It requires more sun than you indicate.

Japanese iris (I. ensata) requires ample moisture. It will even grow in a pond.

Let us know where you are, that is what is your climate, before anyone can recommend bulbs.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Indiana. I forgot to mention, on top of everything else, this soil is very dry. I'm within a mile of a large river, maybe that's characteristic if soil near one, dry and even "rocky" here and there.

Reply to
mkr5000

Dry, shade, snow in winter, possibly shallow soil. Instead of bulbs, you might try hardy perennials. I can't recommend any because your climate is too different from mine.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Hard for anything to grow except vinca and english ivy.

"Rocky, sandy, crappy soil" fits the description of the home environment for many, many bulbous plants.

Where are you in the world so we can choose appropriate species?

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Indiana -- yes, that's why I was asking because I need some GREEN -- no necessarily blooming plants and I've seen bulbs that grow in pretty bad conditions.

I may try some daylillies also but there are patches of those around here -- some more interesting plants would be nice.

Reply to
mkr5000

necessarily blooming plants and I've seen bulbs that grow in pretty bad conditions.

some more interesting plants would be nice.

You're in USDA zone 5 or 6, so most of these should make it:

Try Leucojum vernum Colchicum spp. Scilla siberica Ipheion Eranthis hyemalis small Narcisssus like 'Thalia' Galanthus nivalis Hyacinthoides hispanica species tulips Cyclamen coum Crocus spp.

If you're just after green find out what holly ferns will grow in your area.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster