ripeness of peppers & storing cannas over the winter

I feel like a real dummy here. We have 3 different kinds of Peppers planted, and I don't know how to tell when they're ripe and ready to be picked. One of them is the eggplant colored peppers and the other 2 are yellow. I guess when the yellows start turning orange they're ready, but what about the dark one???
Another question: I have Cannas and will be bringing them in for the winter. What do I do with them to have them ready to plant next spring?
TIA - y'all always come thru for me!!
Nan
Olde Hippee wrote:

I was waiting for an answer as I am not an expert, but I've picked peppers at all stages of growth and they taste the same. This is a nice thing about growing them. Let them go on for a long time, and green will turn red and you get some tough/woody looking spots but pepper still taste the same.
Frank

It helps to know the 'days to maturity' date.
Also, check for firmness and gloss. The fruit exhibits a noticeable change from pliable to firm, when squeezed gently. The surface will change from a dull sheen to glossy when ripe.
Another sign of ripeness is how easily they pull off the plant. Ripe peppers snap off crisply. Underipe peppers don/t.