ripeness of peppers & storing cannas over the winter

I feel like a real dummy here. We have 3 different kinds of Peppers planted, and I don't know how to tell when they're ripe and ready to be picked. One of them is the eggplant colored peppers and the other 2 are yellow. I guess when the yellows start turning orange they're ready, but what about the dark one???

Another question: I have Cannas and will be bringing them in for the winter. What do I do with them to have them ready to plant next spring?

TIA - y'all always come thru for me!!

Nan

Reply to
Olde Hippee

I was waiting for an answer as I am not an expert, but I've picked peppers at all stages of growth and they taste the same. This is a nice thing about growing them. Let them go on for a long time, and green will turn red and you get some tough/woody looking spots but pepper still taste the same.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

It helps to know the 'days to maturity' date.

Also, check for firmness and gloss. The fruit exhibits a noticeable change from pliable to firm, when squeezed gently. The surface will change from a dull sheen to glossy when ripe.

Another sign of ripeness is how easily they pull off the plant. Ripe peppers snap off crisply. Underipe peppers don/t.

Reply to
TQ