Ripen Green Tomatoes?

Page 2 of 2
David Hare-Scott wrote:

yep,
no need to put it in a sunny place as that does nothing to help.
we've placed ours on a table in the garage and most of them ripened. the flavor is acceptable, but not the same as vine ripened.
we have our last harvest sitting on the counter top here in the kitchen, as they ripen they'll get eaten.
songbird
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:24:09 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wro te:

I just want them to get sort of red, then they will go into a big pot on th e stove to cook, get strained thru a coarse strainer and make some great to mato juice or bloody mary mix extender. Freezes up easily to last for many months until next tomato season.
hrhofmann wrote:

That just wastes them, salad tomatoes are awful for cooking sauce, they are much too watery. Instead cook fried green tomatoes; dredge slices in sesoned cornmeal and pan fry... extra can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. I like to pickle green tomatoes by the fermentation method, delicious. http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/lacto-fermented-green-tomato-pickles.html
The thought of fried green tomatoes makes me want to puke. My mother used to force me to eat those things at the end of eery summer when I was a kid and even now it is thoroughly disgusting in my mind.

Try slicing them and putting a slice over each eye - you will see the world in a different light.
On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:31:54 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

Then you're so lucky not having a mind.
On 23/10/2013 18:24, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Whatever method you decide on, keep an eye out for the tomatoes going dark rather than red. It probably means that the plant had early blight, which wasn't showing much when you picked the green tomatoes.
If you find any, throw them in the bin rather than compost them, as some say that the blight fungus can survive composting.
--

Jeff