Ripen Green Tomatoes?

Page 1 of 2
What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?
On 10/23/2013 12:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

An oldie but goodie is to pull up the entire plant, hang it in a frost-free area, and just let the fruit ripen on the vine.

There is none except ethylene gas. Usually, green tomatoes are placed in a bag with bananas, which give off ethylene gas as they ripen, and they will ripen, so to speak, the tomatoes. Don't expect vine ripe flavor.
If the tomatoes are showing some color, you might put them on news paper, on a window ledge, not touching. Invoking the aid of some deity may help also, at least to sooth your mind.
An alternative plan is to use the green tomatoes in place of tomatillos in Mexican recipes, e.g.:
Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce (Enchiladas Verdes)
2 cups Salsa Verde (see recipe below) 1/4 cup oil 12 corn tortillas 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded 1/3 cup diced onion 1/2 cup sour cream 3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
Warm the salsa in a saucepan. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. One at a time, fry the tortillas for a few seconds to soften. Place on a towel to drain. When done, dip each tortilla in the warm salsa. In the middle, place some chicken, onion, and white onion. Roll up and place in baking dish. When completely done, cover enchiladas with remaining salsa, then sprinkle on crumbled cheese. Serve hot.
Tomatillo (or green tomato) Salsa (Salsa Verde)
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, coarsely chopped Peppers to taste (Jalapeno, Serrano, Anaheims) 1/2 cup cilantro leaves 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped 2 tablespoons diced onion Salt
Place tomatillos in a saucepan and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until soft - about 10 minutes. Place half of the tomatillos in a blender jar. Add the cilantro, garlic, and onion. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining tomatillos, and pulse a few times, just enough to break up any larger pieces. Return sauce to the pan and cook for another 10 minutes. Season with salt.
Palestinian Child Detained
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:28:04 PM UTC-4, Billy wrote:

why newspaper? I had forgotten, but my dad used to do that. In a mostly dark, dank basement... Who is the patron saint of tomatoes ripening?
do ripe bananas work better than other ripe tomatoes? I suppose ethylene is ethylene and does not matter.
why can't the tomatoes touch? They do on the vine.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The idea is to reduce problems with fungus by soaking up any moisture and allowing air to ciculate. Promoting air ciculation on the vines is beneficial too.
On Friday, October 25, 2013 6:36:05 PM UTC-4, David Hare-Scott wrote:

thx... doesn't putting them in a paper bag ripen them faster, the ethylene... using paper rather than plastic, absorbs some fungus amongus?
is it ok if they touch in a paper bag?
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:28:04 PM UTC-4, Billy wrote:

I tried a banana, but didn't seem to do much. After few days, got hungry for a banana so had to take it out of the paper bag and eat part... Some tomatoes are redding, a decent looking couple.
gus.overton wrote:

Never heard of anyone eating only part of a banana... what did you do with the uneaten part?
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:49:02 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

You aren't the only one... fridge. I prefer most fruit cold. They are okay for a couple days fridged. I don't like when they start to speckle, start to get too sweet.
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:08:10 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Me neither. I always try to buy my bananas at Trader Joe on the green side, and then I neglect to eat them until they are overripe. This time I felt too guilty to throw them away, so I made banana bread.
HB
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:15:52 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Over ripe bananas are excellent frozen... better than ice cream... can even be dipped in chocolate and coated with nuts.
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:43:57 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Fer sure? I gotta try this...
HB
On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 11:26:38 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Remove peel, roll each in waxed paper, twist ends and freeze. Eat frozen like an ice pop or use in smoothies. I love watching gals eat frozen bananas. ;)
On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:18:45 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

waxed paper, you say... will have to try. I tried saving a couple bananas couple years ago in the freezer, but one rolled out and future ex wife said it damn near broke her toe!
On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:32:33 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I wondered about waxed paper too. Why not cling wrap? Would fit more tightly ergo less chance of freezer burn. If there's a downside, what is it?
HB
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:32:51 AM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

said it damn near broke her toe!

I tried leaving couple au natural in their skin. But had a Dickens of a ti me trying to unwrap- and gave up. I hear the over ripe/frozen are good fo r daquiris or smoothies, but not tried-- yet... Pic-pac has 29 cent banana s a pound on Wednesdays and been meaning to try someday.
Higgs Boson wrote:

For the same reason confections and baked goods are typically wrapped with waxed paper... plastic cling wrap is apt to adhere/bond... when removed will pull away part of the banana. Bananas don't contain sufficient water for freezer burn to occur. BTW, wax is not toxic, wax is a natural plant/vegetable product. Of course feel free to do as you want... I hope the rest of your lives isn't as broken/slovenly as your newreader... what's with all the double spacing? And learn to clean up your attributions... does your mommy still wipe your ass?
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:54:15 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Probably the new GG (?), it sucks ass... does not wipe cleanly.
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:32:51 AM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

Maybe sensei is showing us The Way... wax on, wax off.

Keep at room temperature and wait.