Riding Lawn Mower Batteries - Question

Do Lawn Mowers have alternators that charge their batteries back up, or do they just die out like any other battery, then you have to replace it?
The reason I'm asking is, my battery recently died on my Murray and I charged it up. Worked like a charm. I mowed my entire yard, then tried to get some tall grass in the back of the yard and it killed my mower. When I tried to restart it I had no luck. It acted like it did the day before when the battery was dead. I haven't recharged it yet, but I'm pretty sure that's the problem.
Any suggestions? New battery time or could it be something else.

Sounds like some sort of electrical problem. You didn't say how big a yard you have but if it's anysize and you were able to finish mowing it I 'd suspect a short somewhere in the wiring that dischrges the battery when the engine is shut off. I had an older simplicity that did that. Frayed battercable touching the frame. As long as it was running no problem but shut it down for an hour and dead battery. Have the electrical system cheked before just getting a new alternator for it. A new battery cable fixed mine.
Dave M
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Take apart all the connections to the battery, frame, and starter. Use a battery terminal brush to cleans them, even it they look ok. There can be an invisible layer of oxidation that interferes with starting.
Could very well be just a bad battery. Try charging the battery. let the mower set for a few days and then try to start. If battery is dead it's a very good bet that the battery has a bad cell and needs replaced.
Marv-Montezuma, IA http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

For a battery as expensive as he stated, I think this is an electric mower. So starting is not the problem. The problem is not stopping.
Yes, lawn tractors do have a charging systems which replenishes the battery for what in use takes out. You should remove the battery and bring it to a service facility which has a "load tester". That will check the actual condition of the battery. Be sure to clean the terminals and battery cable connectors of all corrosion. If the battery tests out okay I have some other suggestions. Peter Hall, Hooksett/NH