rhubarb...the search of the plant of rhubarb...where do I begin??

I would like to plant rhubar on my property. When do I do so. the Spring..Summer?? How do I but it ?? My gardners did not know where?/ Advise!!

Reply to
Mauzie

You have to live where the ground freezes solid in the winter for rhubarb to grow well.

You can plant it any time you want to. Once it gets established, you can't kill it with a napalm strike, IME.

If you can get some composted cow, horse or chicken poop, put that in the hole before you plant the rhubarb. Once the plant gets growing good, side dress it with compost or manure. Then stand back and watch it grow like crazy.

Jan, Alaska USDA zone 3

Reply to
Jan Flora

Oh, good! I keep hearing stories of folks down south having trouble growing it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

I believe rhubarb just needs enough constantly cold weather to make it go dormant in the winter. That's a long way from the ground "freezing solid." In a mild winter the ground may never freeze solid even though the temps. are down around 20 F.

- Alex

Reply to
Alexander Pensky