rhubarb...the search of the plant of rhubarb...where do I begin??

I would like to plant rhubar on my property. When do I do so. the Spring..Summer?? How do I but it ?? My gardners did not know where?/ Advise!!
(Mauzie) wrote:

You have to live where the ground freezes solid in the winter for rhubarb to grow well.
You can plant it any time you want to. Once it gets established, you can't kill it with a napalm strike, IME.
If you can get some composted cow, horse or chicken poop, put that in the hole before you plant the rhubarb. Once the plant gets growing good, side dress it with compost or manure. Then stand back and watch it grow like crazy.
Jan, Alaska USDA zone 3
--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not

Oh, good! I keep hearing stories of folks down south having trouble growing it.
Jan
Jan Flora wrote:

I believe rhubarb just needs enough constantly cold weather to make it go dormant in the winter. That's a long way from the ground "freezing solid." In a mild winter the ground may never freeze solid even though the temps. are down around 20 F.
- Alex