Rhubarb questions

Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere else to plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to the garage. I knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but necessity is the mother of compromise.
Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is it likely to survive the move?

Treat it like a hosta.
Bill
P.S. Heat is comming on so the new spot loaded with rich soil may need water if plant is overly sad.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-propagation.html
mike

Yep, so long as you get some decent roots along with the crowns and keep it protected from high heat and keep the soil round the crowns moist for a while after you move it.
wrote in message

Heck - that's easy. I even have an interesting, but strange looking shading apparatus I can provide while the plant is in intensive care. This thing puts the "K" in Kustom. Made from sticks and some dark wondow screen.

I just found the following site as I was checking my "Favourites" folder to get some cites for Gunner - you might be interested: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Yes, divide it into clumps where each has some roots and shoots, plant about 2-3ft apart in full sun, feed with horse or cow.
David

Should I hack the horse or cow into small pieces, or bury whole animals? Seems like a lot of work just for a rhubarb plant.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Mine are trained to squat over the plant.
David