Rhododendrons slow growing?

My husband planted a small (about 8-10 inches)rhodie last April in a woodsy spot that gets lots of morning sun, but mainly mottled sun at best, the rest of the day. While it seems to be doing OK, nice and green still, put out a round of new leaves, etc, it doesn't seem to be getting any taller or much wider, for that matter. Is this typical? My guess is that it's hopefully still busily putting down lots of nice roots, and will start growing bigger next year, that's all it is, just a guess.
We have a lot of azaleas around the general area, which are doing great, but this is our first experience with rhodies.
TIA
elaine charlottesville, va
This growth sounds normal for planting just this past April. The bush is well settled if it is putting out new leaves and greenery. From your description, it is getting plenty of sun.
When I have planted new, small rhodos, the growth in 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th years has been much more than the 1st year.
James
------------------------------------------------ My husband planted a small (about 8-10 inches)rhodie last April in a woodsy spot that gets lots of morning sun, but mainly mottled sun at best, the rest of the day. While it seems to be doing OK, nice and green still, put out a round of new leaves, etc, it doesn't seem to be getting any taller or much wider, for that matter. Is this typical? My guess is that it's hopefully still busily putting down lots of nice roots, and will start growing bigger next year, that's all it is, just a guess.
We have a lot of azaleas around the general area, which are doing great, but this is our first experience with rhodies.
TIA
elaine charlottesville, va

There are many types of rhodies, but most are very slow growing and prefer partial shade as they are an understory planting. You might want to check your soil pH as rhodies prefer acidic. And I'd not expect much growth the first year or two of planting. It's also important to dead head after flowering and pinch off about half the new growth to prevent legginess.
Hi Elaine,
Some varieties grow to be 3' tall in 10 years and some grow to be 7' tall in 10 years. There a few other that are taller or shorter.
Shade stimulates tall gangly growth and sun suppresses growth. Partial shade is best with most rhodies.
The main requirements for rhodies are moist, very well drained, acidic soil.
If the leaves are green and healthy, then the soil is OK. If it is not acidic, the leaves will turn yellow with green veins. If the leaves are uniformly yellow then you need to fertilize. If you do use Hollytone at half the rate on the package.
Steve

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA - http://rhodyman.net

Yes it sounds like your Rhododendrons are healthy and rooting. Your just impatient. It takes more than one season for most any plant to establish. When it does, you will know. It will take off. Enjoy it's early tentative moments.