Rhododendron transplanting question

I have a large rhododendron in my yard, maybe 12 feet tall, and spread about 5 feet. Because of the location, I had to remove it, so I cut it back to about 3 feet tall and dug it out. I have, sitting in my back yard, the remains - a root clump about a foot or so in diameter, and a half dozen 3 foot branches sticking up. I'm thinking of removing all but 3 branches, and planting it. Any guesses as to whether it will survive this?
"Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote:

I've moved three rhododendron about the same size for my parents. I never cut them back but had the site prepared and planted immediately. Watered well and staked for a year. I think you trashed it. However you may be able to layer it and produce a new plant if the variety is worth the effort to you.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Actually, my 9 year old daughter saw me digging it and started to melt down because I was digging up her "special tree". She had named it Navi, and came out to visit all the time <rolls eyeballs>. So, since I already had a hole handy, I pruned it and stuck it in the hole. If it dies, then I'll yank it up and plant something else.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/2007MarchBeckysNaviTree/images/DSCF8115.jpg
Actually, considering how badly I butchered it, I'd be surprised if it lives, but I was kinda obligated to give it a shot :P