Rhododendron - Lime haters?

I would love to grow a Rhododendron sinogrande but my soil PH is around 6.5 (about the same as rainwater). The RHS recommend a soil ph for Rhododendron of between 4.5 and 5.5. Does it really matter that much?
--
atropica

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 03:05:33 -0400, atropica

For best results, yes. You can mulch with peat moss to help keep a low pH.
Phisherman wrote:

Or use an acid-type fertilizer. It's also good on azaleas, hollys, and various other evergreens.
gloria p