REQ: Chile pepper planting advice...

I live in Southern California and recently purchased some Chiltepin seeds from Burpee. Is there is a preferred way to germinate or ideal potting soil mixture? I was thinking that since they only require partial sun, I could leave them indoors for a few months in front of a large window where they would get about 3.5 hours of sun a day. The temperature range could vary from 68 to 85 degrees indoors. I have no skills or knowledge of growing so please explain in detail here or via e-mail. Thanks... BillyKendig"at"bigfoot.com