Replanting Poinsettias in the garden ? (PNW)

I live in the PNW. Would it be possible to plant my Poinsettias in my yard after the Holiday season? If so, what type of exposure, soil, etc. should I look for?

TIA!

-L.

Reply to
-L.

It gets too cold here.

Reply to
Travis

Sorry, but poinsettias are a tropical plant and will be toast in minutes in our winters. They don't even like being transported in the cold from store to car to home. And be sure to keep them away from cold drafts in the home as well.

They can make an attractive houseplant, though. Do a google search to get the details of how to care for your point after the holidays.

pam - gardengal PNW

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Dang! My DH bought me six awsome HUGE ones. :(

-L.

Reply to
-L.

Reply to
gregpresley

I've seen poinsettias planted as far north as southern north carolina and live for years, but they just become a big green plant. They don't get the red leaves back you see at Christmas. They do something to them in hot houses to produce the red leaves.

The Thrift Meister.....www.thriftmeister.com where you can find gardening tips in the gardening section.

Reply to
thrift meister

We are actually in Portland. It doesn't get as cold here, and I have some protected spots in the yard where I could try them. It rains a lot here, though, so they may not do well. The exterior of our home is stucco which retains heat, so that may add some protection as well. I might try it and see what happens - beats just throwing them away! Thanks for the info, everyone. :)

-L.

Reply to
-L.

Don't they need a period of total darkness to rebloom?

Janine

Reply to
jrstark

No, I think they need a period of longer nights than days (maybe 15 hour nights) with NO artificial lights shining on them during the hours of darkness.

Reply to
gregpresley

Sorry, but Portland does indeed get colder than Seattle, also hotter in summer. Go ahead and try them if you like, but greenhouse grown points will not survive a zone 8 winter. They will not tolerate temps less than 40F without total defoliation and extended periods in the low 40's or down to the 20's (as can happen in the PNW), combined with winter rains exceeds root hardiness as well.. If you have any doubts about this, ask a reputable nursery in your area that features points at this time of year - they don't even recommend you leave them in your car when you are Christmas shopping!

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal