Replacing pine trees with maples

I am having several western cedar pine trees removed in my yard as they've grown massively out of control and are too close to the house. I would like to plant a maple variety in the same general area. Is there any special preparation I need to do, in consideration of the soil content? The pH is likely relatively low. Also, what time of year should I consider planting new trees? I am in the pacific northwest, so the temperature doesn't get cold, it just rains.
Thanks in advance.
-Greg

Numerous garden writers over the years have put certain maples in the same category as child molesters and nuclear war. Norway maples, if I recall, will have a root system which makes it impossible to plant ANYTHING under them. You might want to research this a bit more. Call your cooperative extension service and get LOTS of information. Do you know what that service is?

Since this is close to the house, you may want to invest in three different types of Japanese Maples all having different colors.