replacement for Di-Syston?

In the past, I've used Di-Syston as a granular application to keep pests from bothering shrubs and trees. However, I see that it is no longer available.

I've got a tree with something that keeps "stinging" the branch tips, laying eggs, and then borers or something seem to be eating the tree. It is actually a peach tree, but there won't be any fruit on it until at least next year, so it wouldn't be an issue using something systemic at this point.

Can anyone recommend a granular systemic insecticide to use as a replacement? I couldn't find anything at all like that when I browsed the fair sized garden chemical section at Lowe's this morning.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ohioguy

Lindane. (it's a spray)

If you want granules, paradichlorobenzene crystals are supposed to work, but it's applied in October, not late spring.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I was under the impression Lindane was no longer available to the home gardener - correction welcome, though.

Tony M.

Reply to
Tony

You are right. Bonide still sells "Borer-Miner Killer" that used to be 20% Lindane, but now they don't say what the active ingredient is.

A little searching turned up that it's Permethrin 2.5% (I haven't verified this); not sure how effective that is. At least it's not imidacloprid.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Why, what's wrong with that? The product I ended up buying, "Bayer Systemic Rose & Flower Care", has that as the active ingredient. I bought it because of the 8 different stores I visited while searching:

A) It was the only one that gave me 5 pounds for $10 or less (Target)

B) It was the least persistent - says "protects up to 8 weeks". The other formulations and chemicals said 2 months, or up to 12 months for

  1. I didn't want things hanging around that long.
Reply to
Ohioguy