replace soil below instead of replanting- Is that possible?

I have couple of Clematis plants. I planted them three years ago on a mound. I think the soil is very hard below and the mound is always dry. Can I dig below and remove the soil and drop the plant to ground level? Is there any other way to replace that soil below without yanking the plant?

Reply to
NoPatience

You could dig out some narrow holes with an auger, doing just a few at a time. Water each time you do and let the soil sink down into the holes. Adding some compost might help. I'd stay well away from the plant and try to avoid harming the roots as much as possible. If you don't want to risk the plant you could just wait until it goes dormant in the winter and dig it up, then work on the mound.

Reply to
The Watcher

I would cultivate the surface and mulch heavily. Otherwise, I would wait for an appropriate time to dig and transplant them such as when they are dormant in the early spring or in late fall after they have dropped their leaves.

Reply to
Vox Humana