Removing Tree Stumps Next to Garage

There were several trees growing right next to my garage causing problems with the cement slap. I had them cut down, but the tree service told me the stumps were to close to the garage to grind them down. In fact, two of the stumps are actually touching the garage. Well, now these stumps are growing little branches and causing more trouble. I can't exactly burn the stumps for fear of burning down my garage. Any suggestions for removing these stumps or at least killing them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Brian

If you keep cutting the little branches the stumps will eventually die and begin to rot. Drilling holes in them will also help speed up the process.

Reply to
The Watcher

There is a product sold by the name of Stump-B-Gone. It will promote the growth of naturally occuring microbes to speed up the decomposition of the stump. You can achieve pretty much the same results by doing a few easy things. First take a drill with a large bit and drill out the stumps as best you can, then just keep the stumps nice and moist. Then let mother nature take over. I have also heard of pouring such items as mollassis or butter milk into the drilled out stumps to promote the microbes, but I don't know if their is any truth to it. As far as just killing the stumps, pouring gasoline or kerosene into the drilled out stumps should take car of it. Although I don't promote this due to the contamination of the surrounding soils. good luck,

Reply to
Matt

"Brian" wrote

Roundup, painted full strength on the new green leaves with a brush will kill the stumps. To speed things up, wait a day after treating the leaves, then cut the green branches and paint additional Roundup on the fresh live wood.

Getting rid of stumps this close to a structure is one of your ultimate landscaping challenges. If you feel energetic you could try digging around them on the side away from the building and cutting the wood away with any one of a variety of power tools. One of those rotary cutters would be slow but safe, as would a power drill with a wide wood-cutting bit. But roots that have grown under the building would be a real problem. Fortunately roots do not seek out dry areas so if the structure was there before the plant that may not be a problem.

Good luck.

Reply to
Dave Gower