Removing Old Shrubs

I have removed several old shrubs from my yard. However, I can't stop the stumps from re-sprouting. Ideas?

Thanks, DG

Reply to
David Glass

Dig out the stumps.

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

This is a problem with many woody plants. They store sugars in their roots and until this is exhausted or the roots are removed, they will keep trying to send up shoots. Plants that are girdled and allowed to die will not do this. But it may take several years to kill a plant this way. I did it to walnut trees and it took 3 years, but when they died, they didn't send up shoots. Also, you can use chemicals like roundup on the green shoots and this will kill the roots. The other option is to dig up the roots.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I wish it were so - in the case of laurel. Keep on digging/spraying and 5 years later the damned stuff still crops up.

Reply to
Bill Spohn

That means you are using the wrong chemical. The forest services use Garlon. Do a google search for "garlon, buckthorn" (without the quotation marks), and substitute full strength Brush B-Gon if you can't find Garlon or Crossbow.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

If such an herbicide doesn't work as a spray, paint it on the leaves at full strength. Paint both sides of the leaves. When Brush B-Gon was made of 2,4-T (agent orange) I would still apply it with a brush at full strength on things such as laurel.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

There are two options to rid yourself of these shrubs. The first one is to dig up the stumps, thus removing the stored food supply. The second, and less earth friendly way, is to drill a hole or two into the top of the stump. A half inch to one inch hole will do. I use a drill bit called a paddle bit. Works very well and is rather cheap. Take a systemic herbicide, mix as directed for woody plants, and fill the holes

3/4 of the way up. Plug the holes if possible. I use cheap table candles, jam them into the holes and break off the candle. The wax will create a seal and keep the stump from expelling out the herbicide. With in two weeks the stumps should be done resprouting. If not, re-do the process.

Good luck......

Reply to
Timothy