Removing bamboo

OK, after chipping away at the task for weeks & weeks, the gardener (and I) have removed all the bamboo. What is now left is stalk stubs, and -- one assumes -- a whole underworld of roots.
Note that this was not "spreading" bamboo; I deliberately chose a "clumping" bamboo. However, the protective "leaf" litter cluttered everything, and the bamboo had to be cut back constantly. Plant has just outlived its usefulness, though it did screen the trash area. Will now have to find something that will do the same job, but not become such a nuisance.
I browsed under keyword "bamboo removal" and found many user comments at:
http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/4170.html
ranging from burning to Roundup to ..utter despair. Not clear whether they were on about clumping or spreading.
and at
http://www.bamboosourcery.com/cat_frame.cfm?idw&row
in more practical terms, listing tools required and advising against chemicals.
Have never tackled any enterprise as menacing as this.
Your wisdom solicited:
1. How deeply rooted is clumping bamboo?
2. Can mere humans dig up the roots after thoroughly moistening the soil?
3. If not, what kind of "professional" help would be required -- one hopes not too expen$ive.
TIA
Persephone
On 9/8/2007 4:36 PM, Persephone wrote:

Wait until new shoots appear. Then spray them with an herbicide that is specific to grass. I use Poast, but others should be available. I mix liquid soap into the spray as a wetting agent. You may have to treat new shoots 3 or more times to get final control.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Watching HGTV yesterday..... apparently vinegar is an herbicide! Live and learn. http://tinyurl.com/2l589y Narrative: http://moscowfood.coop/archive/VinegarKillsWeeds.html
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
On Sep 8, 7:36?pm, Persephone wrote:

How much to pandas cost?

Don't know about clumping. Most of the rhizomes of running bamboo are within the top 12 inches or so (maybe more like 6). You'll find them easily enough if you start digging and follow the rhizomes.

Yes. We dug out a bed which was maybe 5 feet by 40 feet, which was fairly densely populated with running bamboo (both above and below ground). Takes some time, and you'll probably end up disturbing most of the soil. If there are any plants you want to keep in the area, you'll probably end up digging them up in the process and replanting.
We mostly used a trenching shovel which is durable enough to function as a pry bar too (unlike, say, a spade).
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/content/images/big%5Cbullhead_trenching_shovel.JPG
http://www.gemplers.com/ctnp/longhandle/shovels/G44023.html
This was a few afternoons of hard work, but after that we just needed to watch for shoots coming up, and dig out the little rhizome piece we had missed in each case. (we didn't do the "break off the shoot" technique, as the roots we missed the first time were small and it was simple enough to dig them out).

You can see if any bamboo nurseries around you would be interested. At least, http://www.bamboosourcery.com/catalog_sec.cfm?row=4 says "We also occasionally remove unwanted bamboo free of charge upon request, if we have time and have a use for it." Don't know if this is common, and it is clear that there are various catches.
In my experience (with bamboo and other unwanted plants) the key is spending some time at it and persistence. If you are thinking that a one-time low-effort treatment (whether chemical, digging, mowing, tarps, etc) will get everything, it is easy to succumb to despair. But if you are prepared to get out most of it, and then go back every week or a few, digging up whatever came up in the meantime, you have a bit more of a chance.
<Persephone> wrote in message >

Was it a tropical clumper (Likely a Bambusa) or a mountain clumper (Likely a Fargesia)? If it was a mountain clumper the rhizomes should be in the top 6 inches of soil but the roots will run deeper. The best way to remove the rhizomes if you do not care about the plant is start at the outside of the clump with a shovel and under cut the clump. if your shovel is sharp you can use it to cut the clump to make it easier to remove. You could also use an axe or reciprocating saw to cut up the clump.
Tropical clumpers have larger rhizomes and run deeper but you can remove it the same way.
It also helps if you can use a jet of water to remove the dirt from around the rhizomes then you can use loppers to cut the rhizomes and remove smaller sections of the clump.
Bill
On Sep 8, 7:36 pm, Persephone wrote:

This is killing me. I bought 2 bamboo's and one of 'em died. I want 'em and y'all are killing them!! Isnt Life Grand??? Nan

Do you live near S Jersey USA?
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Just across the crik in Delaware, 4 miles from the MD border. I used to live in Woodstown!! Nan

I live in Franklinville. My goggle mail works. snipped-for-privacy@Gmail.com
EM me and I'll give you my phone #. Up this way after a good rain and you will have Bamboo.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade