Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

Page 3 of 3

<eye roll number 2 in this thread>
On 2/9/2012 10:17 PM, Ron wrote: ...

Not sure if tongue-in-cheek or not; w/ Haller, probably not. :(
Next we'll be hearing how the K&T wiring must come out... :)

well my post was a joke, but one never knows, and using herbicides likely make it worse.
i have some new K&T info but thats for another day........

Then, nicely done!
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 06:03:29 -0800 (PST), Elliott P

Your property looks completely overgrown with all kinds of vegetation. To get rid of that bamboo you are going to have to till deep and rake out the roots. I suggest you obtain a dozer, bamboo stumps will pierce tractor tires. You have a lot of work to do over the next few years... you are not going to get rid of that bamboo in one season, probably take five years of constant attention. Consider yourself lucky it's not on a slope. After cutting it to the ground the first thing I'd do is hire someone with a backhoe to dig a trench around the entire perimeter, deep and wide. Once the bamboo is eradicated I suggest seriously considering installing a 2 acre pond. Anyone who plants bamboo, any kind, is an imbecile. http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/outdoor/how-to-get-rid-of-bamboo / http://www.completebamboo.com/bamboo_removal.html
On Feb 9, 9:45am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

i guess you missed where the OP said theres utility lines and a septic tank in the bamboo area.
Whats wrong with just leaving it grow?

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/outdoor/how-to-get-rid-of-bamboo/http://www.completebamboo.com/bamboo_removal.html - Hide quoted text -

I guess you missed where the OP said there MIGHT BE utility lines and a septic in the bamboo area.

No, you've got a real bamboo there; my guess from the photos is a Phyllostachys. Control methods here: http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/324 http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/bamboos.htm http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74142.html
Watch carefully for spray drift. Desirable plants that get hit with Roundup/Rodeo can be rescued by immediate treatment with muddy water to bind glyphosate.
My first inclination, seeing those photos, would be to consider brush hogging the area and then hand application of glyphosate to the new sprouts. I'm pretty sure that will work, but will require constant vigilance and respray for a couple of years.
And yes, I will consider using carefully chosen chemicals, preferably applied in the most directed manner possible, for control of large weed infestations.
Kay
Elliott P wrote:

You could spray it. With Roundup. Or Napalm.
Attack it with a bush-hog, or, if too big, a stump grinder. My local power company hired a crew with what looked like a stump-grinder on the end of a 60' cherry-picker. It turned large trees to sawdust on their right of way.
Put an ad on Craigslist: "Free Bamboo - You cut it you can have it" to cull the herd to a manageable size.
One pass with a bulldozer ought to knock it to the ground. Then treat the area with a herbicide or ground sterilizer.