Regulations on Conifer height ..Can anyone advise please ?

Hi all,

I,m seeking advice concerning the height of my conifers, A guy has jus moved into a house at the end of my garden and has asked me if I wil crop my trees to a more reasonable height, I am more than willing to d so but don,t want to lose the privacy that I currently enjoy, The tree are maybe 13ft - 14ft high at the moment and I could take them to mayb

9ft without too much problem, I am just wondering if the guy is withi his rights to force me to taking them to the 2 metre point by law if h is not happy with the height I lower them to ? The trees are maybe 3 feet from his house and only 2 of them are across the end of hi garden, his garden is open at both sides and so my trees are no preventing any natural light. The only complaint I can see him havin is that he doesn,t get as much sunshine in the afternoon but that 'sunshine' and not 'natural light'. He seems to be a decent enough gu so hopefully there will be no problem but I just need to know where stand just in case..

Thanks very much

Dav

-- Simmo

Reply to
Simmo

Check with the proper authorities in your area. The trees were there when he moved in and if he didn't like them he should not have bought the house. At the very least he should have consulted you about cropping them before he signed the deed.

Reply to
Freckles

Simmo Hi all,

[...]

Dave

sorry we cant be of much help to u because u didnt mention where u ar located :(. what might be a suggestion is contact the city or tow where u are living and ask them to direct u to someone that could mayb help with any issues u might have concerning bylaws that could affec how high u can have your conifers. good luck. cyaaaa, sockiescat :)

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

Get him to a dr......dont trim the trees, they are on your property, you cut them once and he will want more. He obviously needs a life. There are no laws on the height of a tree.

IM SORRY SIR, WE HAVE TO ARREST YOU, YOUR GRASS IS THE WRONG SHADE OF GREEN. AND THOSE TREES CAN GET YOU "THE CHAIR" IN THIS NECK OF THE WOODS.........NO PUN INTENDED.

Reply to
chaz

Sorry all...

I,m located in Sheffield , South Yorkshire if thats any hel

-- Simmo

Reply to
Simmo

Well, it does appear he is in the UK which may very well have cities or counties with tree height ordinances, something which is likely quite rare in the States - though I would not be surprised to know that an HOA has some rules on that somewhere, as opposed to a city or county law.

Hopefully some fellow brits will reply.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,im origanly from England.

If i remember rightly there is a law that tree's and buildings can only be a certain height from youre neighbors property,but the tree's have to be a certain distance from the neighbors home.

I'd check with you're local county cousel before you do any chopping. HTH.

Von.

Reply to
Timmins01

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote: [...]

This brings up a related point: trees do get too large, and they do get old and wonky, and they, or parts of them, do fall down when the storm gods attack. Who's responsible if a tree or branch on falls and damages the neighbour's property (house, car, etc)? I believe that Toronto can demand the removal of an unsafe tree. (The city has a department in charge of the "urban forest." It s does good work, it seems.)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It will all come down to what the local council decides no matter what "regulations" might exist. The only way to find out is to ask someone in the proper branch of the bureaucracy what their interpretation is this week.

Reply to
John McGaw

hah! 'branch' !

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I live in the city. what I see is mostly conifers eating houses and people with huge old nasty apple trees that drop rotten apples that then ferment calling in all kinds of wasps and destroying their grass. in the city these kind of trees are stupid. they DO unreasonably block the sun off neighbors yards. people south of me thankfully cut down a huge pine tree was eating their house, my fence and arbor and blocking sun. But they left the apple tree. ugh. the people north of me have a huge apple shades most of the northern side of the yard which would otherwise be their "sun" garden and I think they arent happy with my slightly raised bed with peonies and the fall clematis on the fence (all of 4') because it blocks sun to their side and one rose on that side (actually, she doesnt know anything about gardening and does appear to water or properly feed roses). I cut down a lilac on my side along that border, they cut theirs down and said something to the effect "oh good we will have sun there" and I told them, no, I was cutting down the lilac so I could plant a couple dwarf peach trees and group my figs-in-a-bucket there. and yes, I have tried to give her advice but gardening does not appear to be high on her list of things to get done. Ingrid

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Here, where I live in US, there are state, county, and community deed restrictions. Community deed restrictionts are most strigent including direction garage faces street, number of dogs, and fences blocking views. So, you will have to find knowledgeable persons in your specific area. Personally, I wish I had kept topping the evergreens on my property line because now they are getting out of hand and some day I'll have to hire a tree cutter.

Community deed restrictions, like blocking someones view, are hard to enforce if governing body is civic association since only remedy is law suit.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

If you cut the tops off of most conifers, you ruin them. I wouldn't cut them. Neighbor can move if he doesn't like them.

If they were a privet hedge or boxwood or something like that I might be more accommodating.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

try this link for just general things

-- mrs-baggins

Reply to
mrs-baggins

Cropping for height (or topping) trees is generally a really bad idea for the tree. Google "topping trees" for lots of references, or just see this one

the long run, it would be better to remove them and replace them with a more suitable tree for the area.

Reply to
Agave

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:48:49 +0100 in , Simmo graced the world with this thought:

The guy wants you to trim a 14 foot tree down? Look around. Are there any trees over ten feet tall in your neighborhood? I'd be willing to bet my house that there are. As always, check with the local zoning department.

Reply to
bizbee

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:40:38 GMT in , Carl 1 Lucky Texan graced the world with this thought:

Quite possible, but I think that would be along the lines of "you need to trim that fifty foot tree down to thirty," not "That tree you just planted needs to be trimmed down to a stump."

Reply to
bizbee