Red Twig

HI, I just bought this plant in Lowe's. I have not replanted it yet, and its growing indoors kind of fast. I read where it can get to 10 feet tall and 6' feet wide. I do not want it to get to that height...is there a way that I could keep it within bounds? Would it take to pruning this time of year here in NYC? I was thinking of a half size wine barrel that I keep for my water hose. But from previous experience with a Forsythia in such a barrel, it eventually rotted away and the 'rings' got rusty and fell to the ground. Besides that it was so heavy to move it if to store it for the winter. I read somewhere awhile back that if i fill the barrel half way with empty plastic bottles and then add the soil, it would make it movable. Would it kill this shrub or is it a tree?

Reply to
Boothbay

are you talking about a red twig dogwood? First off, you don't have to move either Forsythia OR Redtwig dogwoods inside for winter. They are hardy to quite cold temperatures. Zone 3 I think or maybe colder for the Forsythia, (-13° and to zone four for the bloodtwig dogwood. You are giving the dogwood an unnatural environment which is why it's growing so fast. Most redtwig and yellow twig dogwoods SHOULD be pruned to the ground in really early spring to encourage them to make new growth. They're a shrubby dogwood. (there are all sorts of kinds of dogwoods, even a ground one that grows in Alaska), If you had it inside because your ground was frozen or impossible to dig yet, I understand. Lowes had it outside in the nursery. I don't know where you are, but by the time the nurseries that grow for Lowes sends outside perennials, trees and shrubs to Lowes, it means they've been hardened off and can take cold. Unless they were raised properly and are already used to normal winter and similar temperatures. Most of their evergreens come from Zalinka's nursery up in Michigan. That makes them REALLY hardy.

I know this because I worked for Lowes and do and did quite a bit of purchase with them and Ho-me Despot over the course of years. It's still spring, you can whack the stems on the redtwig back to three inches tall and plant it in a semi-shady place. The forsythia is a plant that resents a container, because it girths up and bulks out eventually. I don't prune forsythia because they're natural shape is vase like. I DO cut branches to bring in around February to force for winter bloom. What I do with Forsythia is prune 1/3 of the oldest branches OUT at the base, then the next year, prune another 1/3 of the oldest branches out, and the third year, the last of the oldest branches. (count them if it's not an ancient shrub to make it easier) this way you're not sacrificing bloom, and you're rejuvinating the bush over a three year course of time.)

If Lowes has a yellow twig, I'd snag that too. they'd look good together. they're not known for their flowers, by the way. nice leaves, insignifcent flowers, their appeal is their twigs and stems. Good luck with it. drag their butts outside and plant them.

madgardener, gardening in zone 7a Sunset zone 36 (temps can go down to

-10 which actually makes it more zone 6b this year)

Reply to
madgardener1

HI, thanks...yes I said that i live in nyc, brooklyn to be exact. I know they are hardy. I just trying o make up my mind where to plant it...like i said i was considering a wine barrel that i have loaded with capped empty soda bottles.. Would like to plant in that so It could be movable if need be. The tag says that its hardy to -40 and

-50 degrees, which never happens here...but would it live through the winter in a barrel, where the roots would be curtailed? Its almost 3 feet tall in the same pot it was bought it. Putting it outside is not my concern...my concern it where? As for the Forysthia, i prefer cutting it back after flowering..it gets too sprawling if i leave it alone...entering my neighbors fence and etc.

Reply to
noel888

HI, thanks...yes I said that i live in nyc, brooklyn to be exact. I know they are hardy. I just trying o make up my mind where to plant it...like i said i was considering a wine barrel that i have loaded with capped empty soda bottles.. Would like to plant in that so It could be movable if need be. The tag says that its hardy to -40 and

-50 degrees, which never happens here...but would it live through the winter in a barrel, where the roots would be curtailed? Its almost 3 feet tall in the same pot it was bought it. Putting it outside is not my concern...my concern it where? As for the Forysthia, i prefer cutting it back after flowering..it gets too sprawling if i leave it alone...entering my neighbors fence and etc.

I wouldn't leave the red twig in a pot where the roots can freeze, it'll likely die... plant it in the ground, same as the forysthia... both can be kept sheared but then they won't flower except for a very occasional bloom. They both should really be permitted to achieve their full growth potential otherwise they'll look pretty much like sad weeds. Perhaps you should do the right thing and give them to someone who has the space and get yourself plants with growing habits more appropriate for your space.

Reply to
brooklyn1