Red Mulch Update

I know the very thought of unscientific results being reported in this newsgroup drives some bonkers - tough tookies.

My very unscientific experiment with red mulch (compared to many, many, many years of growing tomatoes around here) has been a rousing success. I have virtually no blight. I have tons of tomatoes. Why the hell did I plant 15 plants? Hehehe. Seriously, the red mulch seems to work. I have no idea if black would do as well, it wasn't on sale :o)

Reply to
Ann

Ann

The red mulch does not seem to be composted. I would say it was closer to fresh chips rather than com,posted wood. I personally would never use red mulch, unless it was composted red wood, on a clients property. Its nice how the dark, well composted wood chips and leaves are against the lawns. Of course you are talking about tomatoes. The mulch we use in tree care is composted wood chips and leaves and of course there are needles as well. It is a dark color which fades to dark brown.

Reply to
symplastless

"symplastless" expounded:

Huh? Red *plastic* mulch, John. We had discussed it earlier in the newsgroup. I would never touch that fake red bark mulch, nor do I think it's attractive or ever necessary.

Reply to
Ann