Red flowering dogwood

My 2 yr old dogwood doesn't look well. It's leaves are somewhat brittle and grayish looking. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and what I should do about it? Thanks

Em

Reply to
Emerald

1) Where do you live?

2) Is it in sun, shade, or a mix?

3) It it near surfaces which concentrate and/or radiate heat, like blacktop driveway, concrete, or even the wall of a building?

4) What's your weather been like for the past month or so?

5) If you water, describe how (what device, how long, what time of day)
Reply to
Doug Kanter

I don't have a clue.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Uh oh. The toilet's backed up again.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Sounds like anthracnose especially if your dogwood is a Cornus Florida type. There's lots written in this group about it.

-al sung Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

Reply to
Alan Sung

I live in No. Va.

The tree is in full sun and it is near he driveway-about 4 feet away from asphalt.

I water at least every 3 days with hose on full at base of tree, no overhead watering.

I'd say i give it about a gallon at each watering.

Thanks again, Em

Reply to
Emerald

It's probably suffering from dog urine burn, shoot your neigbors dogs and see if it improves.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks, Alan, I'll start researching anthracnose.

Em

Reply to
Emerald

My punk son uses too much paper and clogs it up almost daily.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Emerald" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It could be either powdery mildew (very common this time of year, with the high humidity) or Discula (a type of anthracnose). The symptoms include small, purple-rimmed leaf spots or large tan blotches that may enlarge and kill the entire leaf.

Reply to
David Bockman

Others have mentioned diseases, and they're probably correct. However, like plants (and people), diseases do more damage when the patient is already stressed. Your tree (like the one at my previous house) was planted in the wrong place, at least according to a parks dep't tree guy I spoke to years ago about mine. He said they'd given up planting them anywhere near blacktop or cement many years earlier, due to the increased heat levels.

The best thing you can do for it is to water it well during long dry spells, and you're not doing that. One gallon to a tree like that is like giving you a teaspoon of water when you're thirsty. Put your sprinkler under the tree, water on low pressure, so it wets the ground and not the tree. Or, get a soaker hose. Imagine a circle at least as wide as the diameter of the top of the tree. Move the sprinkler around so that whole area is soaked. If this takes less than 2 hours, you haven't given it enough.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

There is a person here using my name to post messages. He has problems with some of the views I express here and in a few other newsgroups, so he pops up every now and then and acts like an infant. Look at the header on his messages and it should be easy to figure out who's who.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I don't think powdery mildew would cause the leaves to be brittle as the OP stated. It's more of a cosmetic thing.

-al sung Hopkinton, MA Zone 6a

Reply to
Alan Sung

Thany you for your replies.

I don't think it's anthracnose because the leaves do not have spots or holes. They are just very brittle, and the newer leaves crumble when pinched.

I will follow Doug's advice and water longer and more deeply and see how it does. If it's no better next year I'll try to transplant it.

Thanks again, Em

Reply to
Emerald

How big is this tree, both in height, and in the width of the top?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If it's so easy why don't you tell us? You mistakenly accused me already, now who is it this time, ya dumbass?

B'sides who in the hell would want to publically parade around as you???

Reply to
G Henslee

Stop already. Every NG you show up in has got your number. You're embarrassing yourself.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:

Hey Stupid,

Send your complaint and the posts you say are forged along to here: Domain ID:D26855856-LROR Domain Name:AIOE.ORG Created On:11-May-2000 16:59:42 UTC Last Updated On:10-May-2005 09:55:44 UTC Expiration Date:11-May-2006 16:59:42 UTC Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR) Status:OK Registrant ID:tufdZhsS7bbg2vPK Registrant Name:Paolo Amoroso Registrant Organization:Paolo Amoroso Registrant Street1:Via L. Rech 80 Registrant Street2: Registrant Street3: Registrant City:Roma Registrant State/Province:RM Registrant Postal Code:00156 Registrant Country:IT Registrant Phone:+39.0575560999 Registrant Phone Ext.: Registrant FAX:+39.0575562849 Registrant FAX Ext.: Registrant Email: snipped-for-privacy@tiscalinet.it Admin ID:tufdZhsS7bbg2vPK Admin Name:Paolo Amoroso Admin Organization:Paolo Amoroso Admin Street1:Via L. Rech 80 Admin Street2: Admin Street3: Admin City:Roma Admin State/Province:RM Admin Postal Code:00156 Admin Country:IT Admin Phone:+39.0575560999 Admin Phone Ext.: Admin FAX:+39.0575562849 Admin FAX Ext.: Admin Email: snipped-for-privacy@tiscalinet.it Tech ID:tuC6uKxbYbv5lGxM Tech Name:Stefano Cecconi Tech Organization:Technorail Srl Tech Street1:Piazza Garibaldi 8 Tech Street2: Tech Street3: Tech City:Soci Tech State/Province:Arezzo Tech Postal Code:52010 Tech Country:IT Tech Phone:+39.0575560999 Tech Phone Ext.: Tech FAX:+39.0575562849 Tech FAX Ext.: Tech Email: snipped-for-privacy@technet.it

Then learn to read headers.

Reply to
G Henslee

What do you believe you achieved by sending that header info? What does it mean to you?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It is about 6.5 ft tall and about 3 ft wide at its widest point.

If the tree survives in its current location (4 ft from driveway) how long will I have to keep up the heavy watering?

I dread the thought of transplanting it, although I will if I have to.

Thanks so much,

Em

Reply to
Emerald