Red flowering dogwood

Page 1 of 2
My 2 yr old dogwood doesn't look well. It's leaves are somewhat brittle and grayish looking. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and what I should do about it? Thanks
Em

1) Where do you live?
2) Is it in sun, shade, or a mix?
3) It it near surfaces which concentrate and/or radiate heat, like blacktop driveway, concrete, or even the wall of a building?
4) What's your weather been like for the past month or so?
5) If you water, describe how (what device, how long, what time of day)
I live in No. Va.
The tree is in full sun and it is near he driveway-about 4 feet away from asphalt.
I water at least every 3 days with hose on full at base of tree, no overhead watering.
I'd say i give it about a gallon at each watering.
Thanks again, Em
Emerald wrote:

It's probably suffering from dog urine burn, shoot your neigbors dogs and see if it improves.

Others have mentioned diseases, and they're probably correct. However, like plants (and people), diseases do more damage when the patient is already stressed. Your tree (like the one at my previous house) was planted in the wrong place, at least according to a parks dep't tree guy I spoke to years ago about mine. He said they'd given up planting them anywhere near blacktop or cement many years earlier, due to the increased heat levels.
The best thing you can do for it is to water it well during long dry spells, and you're not doing that. One gallon to a tree like that is like giving you a teaspoon of water when you're thirsty. Put your sprinkler under the tree, water on low pressure, so it wets the ground and not the tree. Or, get a soaker hose. Imagine a circle at least as wide as the diameter of the top of the tree. Move the sprinkler around so that whole area is soaked. If this takes less than 2 hours, you haven't given it enough.
Emerald wrote:

I don't have a clue.

Uh oh. The toilet's backed up again.
Emerald wrote:

My punk son uses too much paper and clogs it up almost daily.

There is a person here using my name to post messages. He has problems with some of the views I express here and in a few other newsgroups, so he pops up every now and then and acts like an infant. Look at the header on his messages and it should be easy to figure out who's who.
Doug Kanter wrote:

If it's so easy why don't you tell us? You mistakenly accused me already, now who is it this time, ya dumbass?
B'sides who in the hell would want to publically parade around as you???

Stop already. Every NG you show up in has got your number. You're embarrassing yourself.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Then learn to read headers.

Sounds like anthracnose especially if your dogwood is a Cornus Florida type. There's lots written in this group about it.
-al sung Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)
Thanks, Alan, I'll start researching anthracnose.
Em

It could be either powdery mildew (very common this time of year, with the high humidity) or Discula (a type of anthracnose). The symptoms include small, purple-rimmed leaf spots or large tan blotches that may enlarge and kill the entire leaf.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
I don't think powdery mildew would cause the leaves to be brittle as the OP stated. It's more of a cosmetic thing.
-al sung Hopkinton, MA Zone 6a
Thany you for your replies.
I don't think it's anthracnose because the leaves do not have spots or holes. They are just very brittle, and the newer leaves crumble when pinched.
I will follow Doug's advice and water longer and more deeply and see how it does. If it's no better next year I'll try to transplant it.
Thanks again, Em

How big is this tree, both in height, and in the width of the top?
Doug Kanter wrote:

It is about 6.5 ft tall and about 3 ft wide at its widest point.
If the tree survives in its current location (4 ft from driveway) how long will I have to keep up the heavy watering?
I dread the thought of transplanting it, although I will if I have to.
Thanks so much,
Em