Red Coleus

I got a great deal on a close out on about 32 coleus plants and there growing just beautifully. But now a have all these beautiful plants and winter is coming and i'm wondering if there is any way I can save these plants. I'm here in wisconsin and its gets very cold here. I have all these plants in pots.Can i put them in the house and water them or let them sit till next spring. Can anyone help me please?

THANK FOR THE HELP I CAN GET.

Reply to
Romy Beeck

madgardener

I grow coleus every year. One of the original cuttings was from my

6th grade school teacher. I grow coleus in pots and in flower beds, shade and full sun. The same coleus can look like a completely different plant in various conditions. You can bring them indoors, but they will eventually look weak and tired. I take cuttings from my coleus and grow them in water containers in front of the basement window. Then, in January I take cuttings from those grown in water, and root them in vermiculite. They root in 2 weeks. Coleus quickly die at the first frost, so you want to take cuttings as soon as night temperatures get down to the 30's.
Reply to
Phisherman

Romy, I tried to keep coleus in the house during winter. They survived but got leggy. What I do now is, starting in a week, I let the flowers grow and gather the seeds. I have lots of success with these seeds. I separate seeds by types and colour. I plant the seed indoor in winter. This year I have new one they are almost bright red all over. They are called volcano. They are a bit shorter than the other ones, which can get taller than 2 feet. Françoise.

Romy Beeck wrote:

Reply to
Françoise

You did luck out! Last month I needed some color to fill in an area and had already spent my allowance : ) and could't afford a bunch of plants so bought 2 tall rangy Coleus , and disected them and ended up with 8 nice cuttings and already they have served their purpose. I just stuck them in some potting soil and put them in a protected open shade area of the patio and they did't even wilt. I did try a new idea, though. i had 4 6 inch potts so i made two pockets with construction cloth in each, filled with the soil and put the cuttings in each pocket, so when i was ready to plant them they were easy to take out, unrap and the tender roots were not disturbed. I will probably take cuttings and overwinter them in the garage, but may be simpler to wait till spring and get a couple plants and do same as above. leo

Reply to
Lee

I over winter mine in an east facing picture window, they get strong morning sun ( I do keep the blinds closed on really hot days) and bright shade the rest of the day. They take lots of water and I fertilize about once a month with whatever liquid fert I have handy. They keep growing all winter here.(Central California) I let them go to seed and I start new plants in the spring from seeds and cuttings. I also have volunteer coleus in most of my other window plants.

Reply to
Garrapata

Thanks for reminding me. I should go out and take some cuttings for the house. They are not only beautiful but they remind me to water all the house plants because they will be the first to start to droop if not watered.

I have a rhododendron and azalea garden at the back of my lot. It's beautiful in the spring but boring green in the summer. Coleus at the front edge provide gorgeous color all summer. The bright red ones and the chartreuse (sp?) ones really stand out.

Marilyn in Ohio

Reply to
Allview

I moved from a mostly son to a mostly partly shaded lot and will be usinf coleus next year for color along with impatens... Why I didn't think of it this year is beyond me, I have always been very fond of coleus plants. In the old yard they just didn't thrive, I know coleus can take a fair bit of sun but it was way to much for them there and they just shriveled and died or they faded to very bleached out colors :o( Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

There are varieties now that can take full Sun and look spectacular! Do a Google search on Coleus and happy reading!

I LOVE Coleus!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Randy