Recycled tire mulch

We are considering using recycled tire mulch in our walkways in our organic garden. Although the companies claim that it is non-toxic, we are still concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. Has anyone come across studies on this either pro or con? Thanks.
SB
Organic and ground up tires? No longer organic....why not use wood chips that break down and build soil?

Unlike most mulches tires won't provide any nutrients. Bark chunks, sawdust, or gravel look more natural in a "organic" garden. Tires contain sulfur compounds which might leach into your garden--not sure if that's a good thing.

I would not use it. Read what our own Paghat had to say about it and I think you'll decide you do not want it:
http://www.paghat.com/rubbermulch.html
You can find plenty more both pro and con using Google, but frankly most of the pro that I have found seems to be from people selling it. *shrugs*
--
pull the weeds to email me: snipped-for-privacy@WEEDSgmail.com

One of the unique quirks of the american environmental legal regulations. You can take a drum of toxic waste, prove that it has measurable levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium and put it in a container and call it fertilizer or soil ammendment.
Ignore the websites that sell shredded tires, read this.
http://www.deq.state.va.us/waste/pdf/superfund/rhi.pdf
-S

Also this: "Now you too can kill your garden with rubber mulch." http://www.paghat.com/rubbermulch.html
Though the short version is: 1) The zinc content of rubber mulch is alone sufficient to kill plants. 2) It stinks to high heaven when warmed in summer. 3) Even if you restricted it to areas where not now or ever in the future would you want anything to grow, this crap will migrate elsewhere. 4) It's a fire hazard. 5) You'll never be able to get it back out of the landscape once you realize what a dumbass mistake you were talked into by deceptive sales pitches.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html