Reconditioning a neglected lawn

My front lawn has a large (7'X10') area that I want to reseed. The area is devoid of grass and has a carpet of tiny green clover-like weeds. So far I have turned the surface over with a shovel so that only a rough surface of soil is showing with the weeds turned under. How I am wondering what to do next.

Can I leave the small weeds turned under or do I have to remove them? After I leave the weeds or remove them, I read that I must mix in fertilizer, level the ground, scatter lawn seed, compact with a lawn roller, and then cover with mulching material.

The remainder of the lawn doesn't look too bad but has clumps of moss. After removing the moss, should I fertilize and scatter lawn seed on the whole lawn? I admit I let the lawn go with only occasional weeding and watering, and am now paying the price. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tenplay

You can start by spreading 3/4 inch of fresh compost (from a soil yard) over the lawn.

JK

tenplay wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky