Recommended groundcovers

What attractive, flowering groundcovers that grow no taller than

6" (under 3" would be best) would you recommend that will grow well under these conditions:

I live in Riverside, California (about 60 miles east of Los Angeles). I'm in USDA Zone 8b or Sunset Zone 19.

The summer high-temperatures may get up to 115 degrees The winter low-temperatures may get down to 15 degrees.

One-third of my garden is partly-shaded by a deciduous tree from March through December but the rest of my garden is in full-sun.

Reply to
gary

Look into brass buttons

Reply to
beecrofter

put lamium, vinca minor and ajuga on the list of possibilities

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Make sure you like ajuga.

We can't get rid of it.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Cinquefoil (Potentilla neumanniana): This grows quite close to the ground. It has yellow flowers about the diameter of a nickle, on and off from spring until frost.

Pink clover (Persicaria capitata): This is NOT really a clover. Its flowers resemble white clover, but they're pink. This also blooms from spring until frost (and even into frost if it's light). It creates a mat about about 4 inches thick. In the winter, the foliage turns red.

I have both of these together in the same beds in back. In front, I'm using pink clover in place of grass for the main part of the front lawn. I've tried the cinquefoil in the parkway in front, but it doesn't seem to thrive. In back, it grows like a weed.

Look up both in Sunset's "Western Garden Book".

Reply to
David E. Ross

You could always fall back on that old CALTRANS standby of Carpobrotus edulis or Ice Plant. It grew very well along the freeway ramps all the way up to at least San Jose. Grows _too_ well in fact since it seems to have become an invasive species but if you could manage to keep yours under control it was always a fine ground cover especially where water shortage was a concern.

John McGaw

Ah. I thought it was crapobotus.

It grew very well along the freeway ramps all the

[SF] during its restoration ca. 10 years ago.

You may deduce I loathe it.

Reply to
John McWilliams