Recommendations for patio trees in Bay Area CA?

I have an empty party patio (10' x 15') and would like to add some potted trees for privacy and shade. Japanese maple and palm trees seem very popular. A friend suggests mimosa.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,

Reply to
Charles Eubanks

I would not use the mimosa. (Albizia) It grows very quickly to a Very Big Tree. It 's also going to drop large quantities of flowers every day and then seed pods. Exceedlingly beautiful tree, but not for a patio.

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MLEBLANCA) in news:20040411121852.00150.00000229@mb- m11.aol.com:

if you overwater. otherwise they become a low, spreading (relativley flattopped) tree that provides partial shade

but it is messy enough to bother people when the mess accumulates on paved surfaces.

i think sunset western garden book has patio and pool-side among the lists in the front area of the book. see the book at local library.

Reply to
Gardñ