Recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation of a tree that does not have an extensive root system? I live in area 11 or 12 I believe. That's the Sonora Desert. I would love a tree in my yard but need something that won't encroach on my swimming pool and block wall. Thanks in advance.
Aria

extensive
You would do well looking at some native genera, as their suitability in arid climates generally precludes having aggressive or water-seeking root systems. Cercidium or palos verde and acacias come to mind, as do any number of palms, which tend to have very small root systems given their size. An olive tree would make a very appropriate and attractive evergreen light shade presence.
pam - gardengal
Aria wrote:

Whatever tree you select, be sure to start it off with deep watering. Even the best trees will develop water-seeking surface roots if they are not deep watered.
You might circle the tree with 4-6 watering pipes. Take 4-foot lengths of plastic sewer pipe about 3 inches in diameter. Drill a circle of 1/4-inch holes around the pipe about 2 inches from one end. Use a post-hole auger to dig holes 4 feet deep about 3 feet from the tree. Place a piece of pipe in each hole with the drilled holes at the bottom. Fit plastic grates at the tops of the pipes.
Water the tree by letting a hose run slowly into each pipe. After the first year, water the tree this way only once a month.
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/