Re: Zone 3 or colder plants? Looking for fragrant/bright, long lasting flowers for Calgary, Alberta.

Winter) wrote:

Well, at least moose don't show up in herds in the garden : ) Here on the coast, we put up fishnet garden fencing, to keep the moose out. It works pretty well. (Moose are the largest member of the deer family.)
When I lived in Marin County, the deer would come through and wipe out my roses. (Downtown Fairfax.)
A note on columbine: I planted one last year that was 3" pot size. This year, it's 3' across, 3' tall and absolutely covered with blooms. Maybe the composted cow manure I put in that garden bed helped, but man, oh, man, does that stuff grow well up here!
Jan zone 3
My website, www.mts.net/~aostrand lists and describes the plants I've tried here in Winnipeg, also zone 3 but a very different climate from both Calgary and Alaska.