Re: What is this sunflower pest? Bingo!

OK.....you got it right, you ol' bettin' man. There they were, pretty little ruddy brown beetles, 1/2 inch or so, and I tapped a few off into the soapy water. Geesh.....now what.....? My search found info that says if you shine a light into the soil at night they'll come out to look (if they're not already on the plants). Since it's raining tonight, I'll have to play that game tomorrow night. But I really can't see how hand-picking is going to dent the population.
Now I realize that the grubs I see when I'm digging the beds must be the larvae of the Asiatic Garden Beetle. I've been in this location for five summers and it's only that long since no pesticides have been put down on the grass and surrounding areas (according to my wishes). I guess it took this long for the population to build up to the numbers it must now have attained for the damage to be severe enough to notice. Must research a safe way to get these critters.
Thanks so very much.....! Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7
You can catch quite a few of the adults with the pans of water. Milky spore helps with grubs other than Japanese beetles but takes a little while to get rolling. Wide spectrum pesticides will kill everything that eats them so they are best avoided.