Re: What is the type/name of my plant?

Crazifox;954624 Wrote: > I have had this plant for a couple of years now, I grew it from a > cutting I took when we were studying vegetative propagation in Bio.

> to best to care for it, as it doesn't look very healthy at the moment. > I will post a some links of the flowers and the plant in general.

> could you tell me? They only appeared recently, and I don't know what > they are. Any other general advice would be great also.

Hi crazifox, The plant goes by the name of Tradescantia (commelinacae) not sure about the variety as there are lots. What I do know is that it looks like the type commonly grown as a houseplant (T zebrina) They come from Mexico, so not hardy outside (in UK) the common name is 'wandering jew'. It grows incredibly easily from cuttings and needs regularly pinching to keep it bushy. Its a trailing plant grown mainly for its foliage but as yours has, it does flower. Water and feed well in summer and keep relatively dry in winter.
Regarding the 'white fluff' on the leaves, I expect its a pest called 'woolly aphid' and it lives within the fluff feeding on the leaves. To control it, use any general systemic aphicide and repeat at 14 day intervals until its gone.
regards, Lannerman.
--
lannerman

lannerman wrote:

It isn't exactly like the tradescantia common in these parts but there are many species (I don't claim to know them all) and it does have the right habit. In warm moist conditions it is a real pest spreading everywhere and growing from the smallest bit of root or stem. I had a collegue who had a running feud with his neighbour who used to pull out wandering jew on his side of the fence, chop it up and then throw it all over the neighbour's place. Nice!

It is hard to see in the photo, it could also be mealy bug. If it is just one little plant you can kill the bugs with a cotton-tip dipped in metholated spirits and avoid the more toxic sprays. You will get photos of both aphids and mealy bug on google images so you may compare and decide.
David