Re: weird weed

From your vague description? Afraid not.
"Virginia Creeper" (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) perhaps?

--------------080306060603010300020201 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Hmm, I don't think so. The leaves on the vine were single, not clustered. I guess I was hoping that the bird feet might be unique to a vine, I've never seen suckers this big before, or with such staying power.
Thanks! Heidi
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

I have recently discovered a new weed sprouting from our neighbors yard and invading our side of the fence. The weed/brush is a vine that grows vigorously up our fence and attaches itself by little "feet". These feet look like bird feet, brown with tiny fingers almost. When I pull the vine off of the fence, the feet remain attached firmly to the fence, and the vine pulls away from the feet.
Our neighbors do not pay any attention to their yard (the entire back yard is a junk pile of weeds, brush, vines, discarded household items, etc...)...lucky us...thank goodness we have a privacy fence. At any rate, I don't think they will know the origin of the weed.
From my vague description, can anyone help me ID this invader?
As always, thanks for your insights and advice!
Heidi Raleigh, zone 7b
--------------080306060603010300020201--

Not unique. Cat's Claw vine, maybe?
http://www.raingardens.com/riffle/112.jpg

Heidi, this is the aggresive alien plant Hibocrispicus monoria which is often commonly called "Mexican Fade Vine" and it is extremely poisonous. Simply sniffing the fumes from the flowers can often cause vomiting and dizziness. The flowers appear in late summer to early fall and are often accompanied by a vile odor like that of rotting eggs. It can grow up to fifty feet per year once established and the weight of older vines often brings large trees to the ground during times of significant rainfall. The best solution is to douse the area around the base of the vine with soy milk as this will kill the vine but will not harm any other plants. You might have to do this upwards of twenty times to see results. A fun fact about this vine is that if you hold your arm still against the vine for many hours, you will slowly see the vine wrapping around your arm as it likes warmth.
- Doctor Joseph Mendalbaum

You big fibber. We have Mexican Fade Vines in the bedroom growing all over our bed; they require only a medium of dustbunnies & an occasional sneeze-watering to thrive -- & being as it is a shade vine, it needs only as much light as comes from out two-volt Donald Duck nightlight. The flowers are not vile at all, but smell as delightful as sootikins, & this rich perfume induces remarkable dreams. Why only last night I dreamed I had been transformed into a mighty two-foot-tall flea & was able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
-paghat the ratgirl
snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote in Doctor

At least he didn't suggest spraying with muriatic acid. (again?)