Re: vinegar for whiteflies

Why?
Do you want to pickle your plants in the process?
What makes you think that vinegar isn't a harsh chemical on plants?
Just spraying your plants with water would chase away white flies.
Malathion can be deadly to Crassulaceae and bromeliads!!!

i can drink vinegar but i don't think i ca drink ortho malatihion ;)
i tried chasig away the whiteflies by spraying water, but they keep on coming back.
is a yellow sticky paper trap going to help?
Thanks. Saqib Ali http://www.xml-dev.com

snipped-for-privacy@stonebeat.org (Saqib Ali) wrote in

I've seen yellow sticky traps recommended for some insects, not sure if whiteflies were included. Spraying vinegar, well that's not such a good idea, unless you are ready to make a salad.
You might want to find out what is attracting the whiteflies and eliminate that. (unless of course it's the tomatoes)
-- Salty
I sprayed the tomatoes with a mixture of vinegar and water (20% vinegar). And that got rid of the whiteflies in 1 single shot. A nice lady at Home Depot recommended the use of vinegar to rid of whiteflies. Seems like it works.
Now I will have to wait and see if it effects the fruits or the plants in any way.
Saqib Ali http://www.xml-dev.com

snipped-for-privacy@stonebeat.org (Saqib Ali) wrote in

Interesting. Can you tell us what proportions you used (or did you use straight 20% with no additional dilution)? Also please update us as to whether the plants and fruits were adversely affected.
When I spray 5% household vinegar on sidewalk weeds, they usually turn brown within 5 minutes on a hot day.
-- Salty
I have had good luck using just dishsoap and water as a spray
There was some fella in California a few years ago that was drinking Malathion to prove that it was non-toxic to humans. Wonder whatever happened to him? Maybe he's running for governor?
Why would you drink vinegar? Do you want to be a sour puss?
Even if you spray with vinegar they will come back.
Sure why not try the sticky yellow fly paper?