Re: Trying to keep mulch beds clean

wrote:

edging the borders using an edger, and then making a v shaped trench about 3" across. Not sure if I'm going to install an edging material yet. I'm dropping newspaper and then mulch on existing grass.
Swyck

<snip>> >

I have four inch steel edging around all my beds, but I also have a bermuda lawn, which find that edging height a minimal challenge. Every three to four weeks I mix up a sprayer full of RoundUp, which I use to beat back the invading grass. Occasionally a stray weed comes up through the mulch, but I pull them or spray them with RoundUp if I happen to be edging the bermuda at the time. This is effective when I am diligent about staying ahead of the invading grass or weeds.
John
Hello again and thanks to all who have responded. The consensus seems to be that a trench should be dug to separate the mulch from the lawn. The lawn should then be edged to keep the trench clean. This should be do-able for me. I can start small with a couple of the worst mulch beds. I have quite a few some don't seem to have the problem.
I've seen the Black and Decker LE750 hog edger. This is an electric edger that can supposedly dig trenches as well. It seems to go for around $89. Has anyone used this thing and can I cut the trenches with it or should I get a professional to do that? Maybe I'll start a new thread asking about this.
A few people mentioned using newspaper to smother the grass and then mulch. I'll try this as well since digging the grass out is very difficult.
Thanks again for all responses.
Rick